Need Help!! Mowing Contract Estimate

/ Need Help!! Mowing Contract Estimate #1  

ecard

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D
Based on searches through all forums, it seems like the professional way to charge for mowing is by the acre (Surface Area), and the range discussed is $15-$30 per acre.

This would be a side job for me - so I am not too concerned about the best deal - I am looking to make some money and possibly pay for my equipment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated - I have no experience in this. Here are the specifics:

Land: About 50-60 Acres
Use: Athletic Field

I would like to get a 2 year contract, also I am not sure how to work in lawn maintenance like Fertilizing, etc.

Also does anybody ever give a seasonal flat rate?

Thanks,

Eric

/ Need Help!! Mowing Contract Estimate #2  
I am sure that a number of people on this board have helpful information to respond to your inquiry. For far more information than you can possibly use, look at
http://www.lawnsite.com/

Charlie Iliff

/ Need Help!! Mowing Contract Estimate #3  
All our mowing is done by the hour. Our largest customer is a developer who has 6 subdivisions, with a total of 250 +- lots ranging from 8000 sf to 1.5 acres. Our rates start at $35 per hour and go up. This year we mowed with the JD 1050 with a 6' rotary behind it. Next year we will have the JD 955 with a 5' rotary behind it, charging $60 per hour for both tractors. I know exactly what my costs are, and can make an excellent profit from working part time, about 28 hours a week, and I get my toys paid for.

I have had some ask for price by the job, I figure how much time it will take me, depending on the mower(s) used, and usually double it. I always get the job.

If you would provide further info on the work, I'd be glad to help you as much as I can. I'm a member at lawnsite, there are very few there who mow the bigger parcels, most are residential mowers.

Paul

/ Need Help!! Mowing Contract Estimate
Thanks for the link to lawnsite - that is a big help. I may take you up on your offer once I have more details myself.

Thanks,

Eric

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ecard on 12/20/01 10:00 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Need Help!! Mowing Contract Estimate #5  
Glad to help, the welcome mat is always out.

Paul

/ Need Help!! Mowing Contract Estimate #6  
Have you ever added provisional clauses for increases in unexpected costs? Such as fuel price fluctuations?

/ Need Help!! Mowing Contract Estimate #7  
Not I. That is covered under the column "cost of doing business". My customers want their grass/weeds mowed. It's my job to determine that I operate at a profit. That's where I do my homework and know my exact costs of doing business. From that, I can determine an hourly rate that I can live with. From there, I check to see where the competetors are at price wise. Now I know where I fit in. Next is to see who does the best work. And so on. My customers don't want a contract as long as closing on a house. Some of the folks at Lawnsite are big on contracts and their attendant clauses in them. No so in this area. People out here want the work done, get paid and move on.

Paul

/ Need Help!! Mowing Contract Estimate #8  
Strongly agree with you about the length (wordiness) of contracts. Would prefer to be able to do it all on a hand shake, but... I was really looking more at the commercial than homeowner angle on the pricing stuff. And this past spring/ summer when gas went soaring up and up is what made me consider it.