GRASSHOPPER brand zero turn mowers

/ GRASSHOPPER brand zero turn mowers #1  

srs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 HSDC
I was surfing for zero turn mowers and noticed that GRASSHOPPER makes two types of zero turn mowers. One is the standard zero turn and the other is a front cut zero turn with the mower setting way out front. II think some of the advantages of the front cut mower would be to cut under trees, bushes, fences, etc., plus the mower flips up for maintenance. Does anyone know if the ride is smoother, or other advantages/disadvantages of this front cut? There doesn't seem to be too many other brands out there that make a similar product, most zero turns are with the mower sorta underneath the operator's seat. Around my area you see mostly Exmark brand and not many Grasshoppers, how is their quality? Your thoughts?

/ GRASSHOPPER brand zero turn mowers #2  
I've mowed with a Grasshopper out-front deck and it rides considerably better than a Kubota ZD21. I like both mowers but ride quality goes to the longer mower. I think that just about any out-front deck mower will ride better than a mid mower with very few exceptions.

/ GRASSHOPPER brand zero turn mowers #3  
SRS,

Grasshopper mowers are very high quality commercial mowers and, in my opinion, one of the best. I know several landscapers who use them exclusively and swear by them. My neighbor has an older front mount model (original 16 hp Kohler engine) with over 1800 hours and it has been trouble free.

I am in the market for a zero turn and I have researched all of the brands and decided on a Grasshopper front mount. Scag would be my second choice.

Good Luck in your search.

Jeff

/ GRASSHOPPER brand zero turn mowers #4  
I have the 322D, it is a good mower everything is straight foward except when changing the oil I have to remove some sheet metal to keep from making a big mess.
I just wished they made a rear discharge deck with the Kubota diesel then it would be much better for my mowing needs.

/ GRASSHOPPER brand zero turn mowers #5  
Wushaw, how hard would it be to get some pipe and extend to where you could drain without taking off sheetmetal? I have seen extentions added to briggs engines this way.

/ GRASSHOPPER brand zero turn mowers #6  
I've had a Grasshopper for 3 years. The advantages I see are the easy access to the deck for blade maintenance, and the ability to get close to trees. Time to mow my 3 acres with about 40 trees went from 3 hours on my Deere tractor mower (and then about an hour with the trimmer) to 1.25 hours with the Grasshopper and about 15 minutes with the trimmer. The biggest dis-advantage I see is that in dry windy conditions a lot of stuff gets thrown up right in front of you, swirls around and gets you pretty dirty. Safety glasses are a must running this mower.

/ GRASSHOPPER brand zero turn mowers
thanks to everyone for your replies. I really need to see if the front cut zero turn is better for me or the standard zero turn. With the standard zero turn there is much more of a selection out there to pick from. I don't have a need for cutting under bushes, trees, etc. but the flip up front mower deck is appealing, of course it always comes down to the dollar bill. Again thank you.

/ GRASSHOPPER brand zero turn mowers #8  
Grassshopper, Toro, John Deere and Bushhog are four brands I can think of that make offer deck mowers. If I were going to get a front deck I would rate them in the order I listed them, except with Toro and Grasshopper tied for the #1 spot.

I commercially mow and I have a Toro Z-Master mid mount zero-turn. I've used the Bushhog front deck but I didn't care for it too much, though I will say the control arms were in bad need of adjustment which is probably why I didn't like it as much. Toro has been in this business a long time and makes some good commercial stuff.

Grasshoppers have a good name and a good product. I don't know if Grasshopper makes it but I saw a crew of guys clearing a 6"-8" snow off of a parking lot with Grasshopper units with a blade on the front of them. Talk about getting with the program and getting work done!

The front deck mowers are much nicer for getting under stuff such as under pine trees or overhanging bushes. I can't comment on the ride they have too much because most of what I have mowed with them has been a nice graded soft lawn. My mid deck zero turns though have a good ride to them ad when my dad (59 years old) helps me he never complains about being bumped around too much. Regardless of what you get, they offer seats with suspension and I recommend them.

As for mid mount zero turn mowers, Ferris has a suspension on their front wheels, I have never used one but guys who I know that have have said good things about them. There is just something about the Ferris mowers I don't like, I don't know what it is but I just don't care for them. Scag, Exmark, Toro, Bobcat, Cub Cadet/Lesco, Hustler, Ferris, and Grasshopper all make several very well constructed commercial mid mount zero turns. Anything from these manufactureers with a Kawasaki, Honda, Kohler, or even the Cat deisel will be a good mower. Some of their models have a Briggs and Stratton Engine, I'd shy away from those engines and opt for one of the ones listed above.

/ GRASSHOPPER brand zero turn mowers #9  
BTDT said:
Wushaw, how hard would it be to get some pipe and extend to where you could drain without taking off sheetmetal? I have seen extentions added to briggs engines this way.

I thought of this also but it will not work. Trimming sheetmetal would work better. Then I only change the oil once a year and removing the sheet metal does give me a little better visual on checking other components for potential problems.

/ GRASSHOPPER brand zero turn mowers #10  
I currently own two diesel powered front mount Grasshoppers. If you look, you will find a long thread where I was determined to buy a mid mount ZTR to go along with a front mount Grasshopper. By a extremely far margin, the Farris ZTR with 4 wheel independent suspension rode better than any other mid mount ZTR mower. At one point I had 4 different ZTR mowers at my property to demo. I'd say that for pure brute strength, the JD 777 was the strongest mower I had here. However, it was so strong and stiff that it literally blurred my vision when I hit bumps because it rode so rough. I too mowed commercially for a while, but no longer do so.

The bottom line was that after only one week I had to get rid of the Ferris mower. There were two main reasons. The first is that even with 4 wheel independent suspension, the front mount Grasshopper mowers rode much better. The other huge reason was that the front mount mowers are far superior in cutting inside corners. All mid mount mowers leave a large area uncut on inside corners and required considerable more trimming. Another major factor was that the mid mount ZTR mowers are not nearly as effective at mowing around my lake. With the front mount mowers, I have zero trimming around +1000 feet of lake shore line. I can actually put one corner of the front mount over the water without if falling in and get every single bit of grass. I managed to put the mid mount in the lake twice in that first mowing.

For me, I see the only advantage over the front mount for the mid mount is that they take up less room on the trailer. When talking to the companies what sell ZTR mowers, that is one of the largest single selling points of a mid mount over a front mount. It is extremely simple to stop all "blow out" from in front of a front mount mower. For over 9 years now I've just attached a small skirt of rubber to the leading edge of the front mount mowers. I've never had to replace one and I've never had any grass or dust come out the front ever.

I just looked in my file cabinet; I've purchased 8 new ZTR mowers in the last 12 years, so I've had plenty of each. Oh, one other thing, by far, the front mount Grasshopper ZTR is much more stable on steep hills. I call them my mountian goats on the side of hills. I wouldn't dare even try to take a mid mount where I take the front mounts. Simple physics pan out to prove that a shorter wheelbase mower is not as stable as a longer wheelbase mower on hills. It is physically impossible to flip a front mount mower over backwards while climbing a hill. I flipped a Scag over backwards the first try on a hill I mow every week with the front mount Grasshoppers. So, in 12 years of use and after spending nearly 90k on ZTR mowers, that is my take. Hope it helps.