top link question

/ top link question #1  

GaryS

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901 & LA525
I bought a larger top link and when I took the old one off I noticed the old one was a bit different than the new one. Where the old one attached to the tractor, the top link has spacers to keep it from moving side to side. The new one does not. Should I look for spacers for the new top link?

Here's what the spacers on my old top link looks like:

Img_8646.jpg

Here's what the whole thing looks like:

Img_8645.jpg

/ top link question #2  
Most people don't worry about it. I don't like the slop myself. The easiest way to fix it is to get two category 1 spacer sleeve. Cut both so that they are the right size and put one on each side of the new top link. Most dealers and also Tractor Supply carries the sleeves. If you don't like the loose pieces there, you can tack weld them to the new arm.

/ top link question #3  
Actually I believe the "slop" is there for a reason. It allow some twist between the implement and the top link. This avoids undue stress on the 3pt linkage especially when the implement moves side to side.

/ top link question #4  
It seems like the ball ends will twist even with the spacers installed???

Thus the spacers are not prohibiting any mvement..etc.

Soundguy

/ top link question
JerryG said:
Most people don't worry about it. I don't like the slop myself. The easiest way to fix it is to get two category 1 spacer sleeve. Cut both so that they are the right size and put one on each side of the new top link. Most dealers and also Tractor Supply carries the sleeves. If you don't like the loose pieces there, you can tack weld them to the new arm.

Ok, I won't worry about it for the time being. Next time I'm in TSC, I'll pick up a couple spacers. I just saw the difference and didn't want to do harm.

Many thanks to all.

/ top link question #6  
A 3/4" pipe nipple cut to fit is also a cheap fix. They are at any hardware or box store. If you can, I would weld them on. They are easy to loose when not being used.

/ top link question #7  
GaryS said:
I bought a larger top link and when I took the old one off I noticed the old one was a bit different than the new one. Where the old one attached to the tractor, the top link has spacers to keep it from moving side to side. The new one does not. Should I look for spacers for the new top link?

Here's what the spacers on my old top link looks like:

Img_8646.jpg

Here's what the whole thing looks like:

Img_8645.jpg
I wouldn't worry about it. What little movement there is will not matter. Your top link with the spacer on the sides is actually unusual. I have not seen one standard like that.

/ top link question #8  
Looks like his unit has a wide gap for the top link pin. Those spacers could actually add strength to the pin to prevent it from bending under load, not to mention keeping the force centered evenly between the two ears for the pin...I would try to duplicate the original somehow.

/ top link question #9  
Just a little bit of welding will make that happen.

Soundguy