Almost Finished-Pole Building Garage/Apartment

/ Almost Finished-Pole Building Garage/Apartment #1  

Highlander

Tractor
JD 4300/430 Loader
Well, here it is! I and my wife have been working on this supposed "Temporary" living quarters for the past three years from the first sound of blasting rock to completing the siding this past summer. The longest pole was 24ft long 6x6 P.T. Hemlock, quite squirrelly when set up vertically in the air even with bracing. I kept the whole building dimensions within 1/4" and the end product walls are confirmation to this process. I have many pictures of the process and am more than happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• Poles set and ready for framing.jpg
    Poles set and ready for framing.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 2,722
  • Almost Finished View.jpg
    Almost Finished View.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 2,264
  • Front of House.jpg
    Front of House.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 2,642
  • The Homestead.jpg
    The Homestead.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 2,348
   / Almost Finished-Pole Building Garage/Apartment #2  
Looking good, Highlander! What part of Washington are you in?

/ Almost Finished-Pole Building Garage/Apartment #3  
I'm green with envy Highlander, looks so cool with the hills in the back ground.

Eastern Washington for sure, like maybe between the Cascade Mtn range and Columbia river.

/ Almost Finished-Pole Building Garage/Apartment #4  
Beatiful building in an amazing setting!!!

Did you put a basement in it? Looks like floor joists on one half of the floor and a basement entrance door on the side.

I don't understand why you built it pole style instead of stick frame? The only advantage I know of pole buildings are they are very strong with out having a concrete foundatsion. They are cheaper to build because you don't use or need concrete footings.

Thanks for sharing,
Eddie

/ Almost Finished-Pole Building Garage/Apartment
Eddie Walker Your absolutely right! The only concrete in this thing so far is the half wheel barrow or so in each of the holes at the bottom of the posts. Other than that, you are looking at a complete pressure treated wood foundation with a two foot crawl space. We did it this way for economics.....it is much cheaper than concrete and we originally were only anticipating being in here a few years but the way it turned out, I'm wondering if I really want a construction loan and later a mortage. I have neither right now and as it turns out this temporary thing is turning out quite cozy. Hard choices ahead!

Attachments

• The Grasshopper's Garage.jpg
    The Grasshopper's Garage.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 3,091
Willl Your really close.....we are located in Okanogan county up by the town of Chesaw and our view to the north is the southern mountains of British Columbia and the ski slope named Mt. Baldy, Welcome to Mount Baldy Ski Corporation. The woods here are just full of ol' combat Vietnam Vets like me, some Gulf War Vets and now I'm sure we'll see some Iraq War Vets as well. All I can say is "Welcome Home Brothers" and welcome to the Highlands!

Attachments

• My Friend Spike.jpg
    My Friend Spike.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 881
   / Almost Finished-Pole Building Garage/Apartment #7  
Thanks Highlander. I mistook your wood flooring for concrete and didn't understand what I was seeing. hahahaha

I totaly understand you position. I built my home for cash and don't want a mortgage either. We have 1,000 sq ft of living area with three bedrooms and 2 baths for four of us and it's very cozy. Any smaller and it would be too small, but as it is, we're just right.

I had a thread on it awhile ago called "Creating a Workshop & Home" in the Project section that shows the building of it if your interested.

Eddie

Attachments

• Front view of our home..jpg
    Front view of our home..jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,858
  • Back view of home and workshop entrance.jpg
    Back view of home and workshop entrance.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,946
  • Home with view of our small pond.jpg
    Home with view of our small pond.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,400
Eddie Thanks for the pictures and congradulations on a very beautiful home. I really like the pond out back within short walking distance of the house and the scenery is nice too! I didn't know Tyler, Tex. looked like that.....with all the woods and all......anyhow thanks for letting all know just how darn nice Texas really is! And a bit of your ingenuity and ability as well not to mention a lot of sweat I'm sure. I totally agree.....no mortage is the best mortage....we OWN this place free and clear just like you. There are smart ones and then there are smarter ones!

/ Almost Finished-Pole Building Garage/Apartment #9  
highlander nice job. i absolutely love the setting.

/ Almost Finished-Pole Building Garage/Apartment #10  
Afternoon Highlander and Eddie,
I just wanted to mention that I really enjoyed all those great pics ! I am an advocate of not having more house than you really need ! My Ct home is just about 2000 sq ft and it was fine when the kids were growing up but now its to big IMO :confused: The Vt house is about 900 sq ft and all it really needs is a nice size family room on the backside and maybe another bedroom to make it comfortable.

Now the barn is another story :)

Highlander, looks like you got a neat ole dozer in the back !

Attachments

• Porch1.JPG
    Porch1.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,326
  • SuperA-11.jpg
    SuperA-11.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 944