Forks Hay Forks

/ Hay Forks #1  

Jag

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota /L2650/ LA450/B4690 -- John Deere 450 Dozer
I have a L2650 with a L450 loader, and will need to get some hay forks for the loader sometime soon, any suggestions. What is best, one that replaces the bucket or clip on type.. I ran a search for hay forks and found none, could not believe it. Thanks

/ Hay Forks #2  
Jag, I haven't tried finding them on the Internet, but they're quite common around here. Tractor Supply (which has a web site), every tractor dealer in the area, Gebo's, and lots of other folks sell them (they're usually called "hay spears" around here). Everyone I know takes the bucket off to put the hay spears on. And my neighbors also have a "Hay King" brand spear on their 3-point (it has one hydraulic cylinder to tilt it), so they can move 2 bales at a time; one on the front and one on the rear.

Bird

/ Hay Forks #4  
Things are always harder than they need to be. Most Kubota buckets are not quick release and the cost of the kit is about $250. After that, Kubota sells either a Hay Spear or Adjustable Forks (not to be used for lifting round bales). I would buy an after market hay spear since several people sell them and the Kubota dealers will get them once you ask them to. The adjustable forks are really nice to handle pallets and will handle feed or square bales after a fashion but they are kinda expensive ($1300 or so). There are some forks that bolt to the bucket for light loads. What is the loader rating for the L2650? How many pounds do the bales you use weigh.

If you are talking about square bales, there are quite a few options that provide a platform on the rear. There are also inexpensive round bale spears that will fasten to the 3 point.

/ Hay Forks #6  
Jag,

I just purchased a new tractor w/loader and I bought an ATI quick attach bucket for just this reason! you will find that unless the bales are very small you will need to remove the bucket so it will lift, with the bucket attached the bale will be way to far out in front of you and if the tractor does lift it up it will be quite dangerous to try and move esp. if the ground is not level. With the QA setup I can add forks which I plan to modify with a sleve for a spear so it's easy on easy off. I made a rear 3. round bale spike for my old tractor and it would p/u a 1600lb bale no problem, it cost me about 20.00 to make and my time of course ( I went to TSC with pencil,pad,& tapemeasure ) went inside and bought 2 hitch pins, down the street and got some steel and started welding. Hope this helps

Mike