What are the pros and cons of a cab? Those that stand out to me are:

Pro:

- Stay warm in the winter
- Snow blower discharge doesn't come back and get you in the face
- Stay cool in summer if you get a fancy cab with AC
- Sun shade
- Stay dry in the rain

Con:

- Harder to get in and out, especially in narrow spaces or when up against something?
- Potential interference with backhoes
- Fogged up windows?
- $$$$$$
- Lack of fresh air in mild weather?
- Silliness about not being able to load the rear tires on Grand Ls?

What's your experience?

/ Cab pros and cons #2  
Hayden,
I'm not sure about a cab on a compact tractor but it's shear luxury on a full-size tractor. On a full-size tractor I don't think there are any cons with one. On a compact I can't think of any but I've never had one. I know that this winter it has been a blessing to have the cab on the deutz and the 4020. I've got music, heat, and no elements to contend with. The past few years weren't that great without a cab, especially in the winter. In summer both of these tractors have air so that means no bugs that attack you when you're haying or mowing, no sweating with the ac, etc. If it would work on the compact I don't see the downside of one.

/ Cab pros and cons #3  
So far, with a whole 20 hours on my first tractor with a cab (/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif), I've already seen quite a few reasons to agree with you, cowboydoc. I remember dreading to go out and plow snow, or grade the road when it was freezing cold out, and then I think about doing the same jobs during the past couple weeks, in a sweatshirt and sweatpants, with my jacket hanging on the back of the seat, and there's no way to begin to compare the two.

I remember clearing or, rather, starting to clear, a pine tree last summer and getting stung by several very large and very mad hornets whose home I had dislodged. I think I'm going to enjoy having some protections against them, the next time it happens, though the way things go, it'll probably happen when I have the doors removed, because...

I don't have AC in my cab, so I fully expect some "payback" come summer. No matter how much I do in the way of removing doors, installing fans, etc. it's bound to be hotter than without a cab. On the other hand, though, I noticed that it was a lot hotter sitting on my seat of the L4310 than it was elsewhere, just because of the heat from the engine being pushed back toward the operator. In summer time, when working the tractor hard, the ignition key would get so hot sometimes, you couldn't hardly hold it. So, maybe, just maybe, the windshield, which isn't removeable, will block some heat. We'll see.

As for other advantages, everything inside the cab is much better protected, so there should be a lot less maintenance on that stuff. It's nice to not have to wipe the water off the seat in the morning. Visibility doesn't appear to be adversely affected much at all. The entire rear glass slides up overhead so it's out of the way when you're using the backhoe, but you can also leave it closed, because the valves are all inside. Some of my ideas on "enhancements", such as electronics, should be a lot easier because of the cab, too.

At any rate, so far, there's been nothing but pluses to having the cab. But, as I say, I expect that to change in July.

/ Cab pros and cons #4  
You hit most of them. The cab on my IH2500b was great in cold weather and rain. You could operate all day and even keep your lunch in there with you. A radio was nice as well. But in the summer, it was an oven. I used to remove the back window and the doors were suicide type, opening to the front, so I could prop them open and they would act like huge wing vents when I was mowing, but it was still hot and that tended to funnel in the bugs. Also, every piece of glass eventually cracked due to branches and brush snapping past the front end loader. As I have mentioned before though, most people wouldn't be as mean to their tractor as I was to mine. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif One thing that I thought about doing was removeing the side and rear glass and installing expanded steel mesh in its place. Then I was going to fabricate soft clear vinyl curtain windows on the inside that I could roll up in the summer.

/ Cab pros and cons #5  
Mark and Moss,
I could definitely see where a cab wouldn't be so nice in the summer. I'm glad both of my cab tractors have air in them.

/ Cab pros and cons #6  
If I was a serious operator and not just a hobby guy, I would get the cab with heat and air. But I am just a hobby guy, so I got a canopy. Nice compromise.

/ Cab pros and cons #7  
<font color=blue>...I don't have AC in my cab, so I fully expect some "payback" come summer.</font color=blue>

Obvious question, Mark.. how hard would it be to add A/C to your setup?

/ Cab pros and cons #8  
Bob - bgott mentioned some ideas in the "Goodbye Kubota, Hello EarthForce" thread, such as putting the rear overhead unit from a Suburban in it. He seemed to think it wouldn't be hard to do, so maybe he's got some experience in that area. I don't, and don't have a warm fuzzy feeling at all about it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif In fact, it sounds like the proverbial "nightmare" project to me. Of course, I might "warm up" to the idea a little in July, when the 90+ temps and humidity start.

/ Cab pros and cons #9  
Mark,

I'm surprised you aren't jumping up and down in excitement about a new and challenging upgrade opportunity! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Earth Force doesn't offer A/C? I'm surprised at that, too. Hmm.

Maybe just some good ventilation fans would do the trick?

/ Cab pros and cons #10  
If price was not in the equation, almost everyone would have cabs provided they have AC/heat and nearly all cabs now have these. Getting on an off is slightly more difficult with a cab but that is minor.
Backhoes can be modified to fit. Lack of fresh air - open window.
It is however, harder to hear that rock or stump when it hits your mower/brush hog blades!