DIY Home built compact tractor

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #1  

GT2

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-35
I have decided to give this a try, if it works, great! If not, o well I've wasted money on worse things!:D
This will be the official thread. There is some backgroung stuff here:http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/92987-ground-speed.html
Heres a pic of the axle donor. 1988 Suzuki Samurai.
suk1.jpg

I'm going to look at a VW diesel pick up tomorrow. It will be the engine donor.

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #3  
Your dog wants you to take it for a ride before you trash it. :)

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #4  
Don't rob parts from a good Samurai to make your project. Used Zuk axles are cheap. I just picked up a pair for $100, I only paid that much because the rear has a locker. JC

/ DIY Home built compact tractor
RollTideRam said:
Don't rob parts from a good Samurai to make your project. Used Zuk axles are cheap. I just picked up a pair for $100, I only paid that much because the rear has a locker. JC
Up here in Seattle Zuks seem to be worth gold!?:confused:
I could have bought axles off e-bay (etc) cheaper, but by the time I paid freight I was better off buying the rig!
This Zuk was a roller, I'm taking the axles, shafts, steering collum, hood, and a few other parts, then parting out the rest of the car.

I started working on shortening the front axle today.

Assembled:
trac1.jpg

Dissambled:
trac2.jpg

There is a 13" difference in the axles.
trac3.jpg

I need to shorten the housing 13" so I can use two short axles.
Here's the housing leveled on the chop saw.
trac4.jpg

Now I need to get the knuckel out of the drop.
I'm using my angle grinder to slot thru the tube right next to the weld.
When you get close to the right depth the cut will start to heat "blue".
Once you have heat marks stop grinding and use a big chisel and hammer and knock the knuckle out of the tube.
trac5.jpg

Now its off to my friends machine shop to have the weld turned off.
trac6.jpg

I'm still looking for a donor VW diesel car.

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #7  
That is a great idea to use two short axles. Welding and heat treating an axle is the major problem in these cases. They snap under load with a quick jerking motion. The Suzuki looks in good condition. I am looking for a small 4x4 to use in my woods as the ATVs are so over priced. It sounds like your going to use the VW diesel for the power plant. This should make a great combination. Thanks for the details and keep the progress shots up dated. By the way..... nice security dog. Bet he is well versed on treats and getting in pictures !~ jr

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #8  
Once you find the VW donor car, which parts will you scavenge from it, just the power train?

joes 427:
Yeah the dog is a real chow hound! He'll do about anything for a treat.:)

BTDT:
From the VW I'll use the engine, trans (Front WD), axles, some wiring and maybe the instrument panel, fuel filters and pumps, fuel level sender, and some other misc stuff.

Made a little more progress today.
After cleaning up the weld on the knuckle, beveling and cleaning the end of the tube, I checked for castor alignment and pounded it in.
trac7.jpg

Knuckle welded in.
Isn't it cute? Its like an axle assy, only smaller!:D
trac8.jpg

Heres it is with the new short side axle and hub assembled.
trac9.jpg

Now I have to hover on e-bay and craigs list to try and find a good used short axle to finish the other side.

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #10  
Well all this looks very familiar. I also took a 1948 jeep cj-2a axle and narrowed it up to be about 3ft wide, and i am now in the process of mounting it into a older sear garden tractor which i have modified, with 30" tall skid steer tires on the rear, 24" tall tires on the front, a 12hp liquid cooled kubota diesel, rear disk brakes, hyd. 3-point, a steering box from a combine, and other wierd ideas,lol. Keep us up to date on your progress seems like a good project.