1540 rear PTO lever wont engage

/ 1540 rear PTO lever wont engage #1  

coolhl7

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF1540HST
My rear PTO lever often wont engage on my 1540HST. sometimes it will. sometimes it wont. however, if I turn the yellow PTO knob on the dash for just a few seconds I can then engage my rear PTO. The manual says to never turn that yellow knob w/o first engaging the rear PTO but what else can I do? Thanks

/ 1540 rear PTO lever wont engage #2  
I have a MF 1445 with 16 x 16 shuttle shift. My PTO lever has gone in somewhat hard in this cold weather we have been having. I used it the other morning to blow some snow after plowing. On cold days I let it warm up awhile before I even try to use it. Do you have this problem during warm weather also?

Dennis

/ 1540 rear PTO lever wont engage
the coldest I ever used it in was 40F.
I live in Florida.
I only have 15 hrs on it.

/ 1540 rear PTO lever wont engage #4  
well there goes my theory, it was about 15 below with wind when I was using mine.

/ 1540 rear PTO lever wont engage #5  
coolhl7 said:
the coldest I ever used it in was 40F.
I live in Florida.
I only have 15 hrs on it.

Nice warm Florida winters , eh? So what does the sound of -50c do for you? I could handle 40F no problems!!

How do you like your tractor?

Thanks,

Will

actually my 40 acres is in the coldest part of Florida and we will go down to 24 tonight but will be back up to 59 tomorrow. we get the best of both worlds: deer and alligators....
the MF1540 so far has been superb doing everything I could have wanted.
but, I should have gotten rear remotes and a grapple. cant have everything:D
I am sure the PTO lever thing will be a simple solution.
I am sure all the top brands are great, but the red is so pretty!

/ 1540 rear PTO lever wont engage #7  
On the rare occasion that my lever won't engage the PTO, I quickly turn the knob on and then off. That usually moves everything so that the gears will drop in.

/ 1540 rear PTO lever wont engage #8  
Your pto lever will loosen up over time. My 1533 did the same thing at about 20 hrs. Just bump the knob to line everything up. Mine has about 70 hrs now and seldom does it anymore.

thanks guys,,,just wanted to make sure the quick knob technique was safe!
I love my MF1540.:D

/ 1540 rear PTO lever wont engage #10  
COOLHl7, There are some VERY, VERY smart people on this site. and I have learned a lot from them. That, having been said, I think I would call my dealer just to be on the safe side.
I have a MF 1552 with 160 hours on it. Love it!!:)
I live in South Alabama so, we have about the same weather
Tensaw12