Tire keeps coming unseated from rim

/ Tire keeps coming unseated from rim #1  

5030tinkerer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL3830/GL5030
I have a 5030 with R4's on it. When it was around 0 degrees out several weeks ago and I had a bunch of weight on the loader, the passenger front tire came unseated from the rim (the tire didn't pop OFF the rim, it stayed inside the rim edges, but unseated itself on both sides). I have since discovered that I must have had the tire pressure too low - it had dropped to about 15psi on the other side (I suppose because of the weather).

Just the other day, though, it happened again (at 30 degrees this time). Same tire, but it was at 35psi and there wasn't even a load on the front. While the terrain was quite bumpy, I wasn't going much more than 3mph when it happened.

Should I go to a tire shop and have THEM re-seat the tire, ensuring that some sort of soapy mixture is used to re-seat it or should I just re-do it? I can't find any damage to the tire or the rim.

It was a pain to get re-seated last time (had to bring the tire to room temperature to get it to even reach the rim around all sides - the tire just seemed too small when it was cold to even have a chance of seating when cold, but warming it up solved that problem). Am I doing something wrong? AFAIK, the Titan tire and rim is factory.

/ Tire keeps coming unseated from rim #2  
I have a 5030 with r4's and have had the same problem until I got some bead sealer I purchased at NAPA. It's a black tar-like sticky substance. Just brush it around both sides of the tire and inflate. Works well, I still have to keep an eye on tire pressure, but air pressure seems to stay at proper level for much longer than before. Plus have not popped a tire since.

/ Tire keeps coming unseated from rim #3  
Are you sure it was at 35 PSI when it came off last time? If it was it must have made one heck of a bang when it did. I suspect you have a leak and the preasure had dropped again. I would reseat it and check for leaks.

/ Tire keeps coming unseated from rim #4  
Hmm, I have seen the bead sealer before but never needed it. Can't say I have ever had a tire unseat itself. In fact their usually a SOB to get unseated when I need to change them. :) Maybe that tire size just needs a little help being held on. I guess the bead sealer is worth a try.

/ Tire keeps coming unseated from rim #5  
I have to agee...I suspect the tire had to have been losing air and was low on pressure when it came off the bead the second time. So, you got a leak or bad seal, tire gets low, you crank a turn and the tire walks off. If it is the bead, try the sealer...it worked for me.

/ Tire keeps coming unseated from rim #6  
I agree that the air pressure was almost surely too low and that's what caused it to come unseated. I only had that happen on my tractor once and that was my own fault. I was turning pretty sharply, although very very slowly, with a heavy load in the front end loader and I had not aired up the tires to the maximum, as recommended. However, I did find that I had a very slow leak in one of my pickup tires recently, and instead of hunting for it myself, I just stopped by Discount Tire and let them do it. That black bead sealer is what they used because that's where the leak was.

/ Tire keeps coming unseated from rim #7  
Those little 8" tubless tires on trailers and woodsplitters etc. are really a bear when they start leaking around the rim, I clean around the bead and seat and spray the rim seat area using a can of the spray undercoat, the tar like stuff, it has fixed all my bead leaks.

/ Tire keeps coming unseated from rim #8  
If leakage around the rim seat area is a common problem with these wouldn't it be easier to just install some tire sealant in the tires?

/ Tire keeps coming unseated from rim
Thanks for the replies, guys - I knew I could count on you!

When it came off the first time a few weeks ago, I just looked down and noticed that the tire was off of the rim. This time, I heard the air leaking out (like it was punctured) before it went flat and came unseated. I can't say for sure that the tire remained at 35psi - that's just what I had set it to after remounting it the first time. It hissed for quite awhile before coming off of the rim - maybe two minutes or so.

I'll pick up some bead sealer at the local NAPA, clean up the rim and tire bead really well, reseat the tire, reinflate it, and then dunk the tire into a tub of water to check for bubbles.

When it comes to cleaning the rim up, I was thinking of using a steel brush or steel wool. What do you guys use for cleaning up the tire, and for that matter, the rim?

I don't want to damage anything (mostly just concerned about the tire...), but I don't want it to leak again (assuming that's the problem) either.

/ Tire keeps coming unseated from rim #10  
I've used a wire brush on steel wheels (rims) a lot of times. And I've even used one on the tire bead, but going at it with a much lighter touch than on the steel.