Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks?

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #1  

HarleyBob

Silver Member
I am looking at adding some pallet forks to a Kubota Loader for temporary use when moving feed pallets around the barn. Anyone out there with good feedback on the bolt on or chain on pallet forks and which ones to get? My max load is 1100 pounds/pallet.
I would get the cool system that you pick up with the bucket but the hooks
I already have welded on top of by Kubota bucket would interfere.
thanks,
hbob

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #2  
Got a welder? For about $50 and 4-5 hours of your time you can make your own. Free plans are available for a clamp-on style, just PM me with your email address. Over 300 satisfied TBN requestors.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #3  
The biggest fault I could find with the bolt-on forks was the weight of the darn things, had to be Hercules to lift them on to the bucket or move them around.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #4  
We LOVE ours. We use them more than any other implement. No end to the possibilities. One of the handiest and completely not supported by any of the involved manufacturers is to put a pallet on the forks and use it as a man lift. We built our 10 foot block retaining wall this way. Load up the materials, lift up the pallet and climb up to the loader.
They are a bit heavy, but very manageable.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #5  
If you’re going to use them much spend the money for real pallet forks. I got a set last fall and I use them all the time. I built a box/skid to put chainsaws and tools in and I wouldn't be with out it. I got mine on ebay 4000lb limit for about $650.00 delivered, the quick switch was a perfect fit. I can switch from bucket to forks in less than a minute with on lifting. For cutting wood I consider them a necessity. If there is no snow on the ground the forks are on as much as the bucket.:

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #6  
I second the vote for (real) pallet forks. Real forks help keep the CG of the load closer to the tractor which improves max weight handling, safety, and strain on FEL.

I can switch between bucket and forks in a couple minutes and it isn't difficult. Adjusting the distance between the forks is way easier with real forks. Lots of home brew and many factory made bolt/chain-on don't adjust or don't adjust nearly as easily. You don't have need of having to wrestle with heavy forks if you are using a quick attach system.

When you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side it changes the suspension geometry and makes you subject to a roll over if you have a heavy load on the forks. This effect is exaggerated if the load is farther out in front of the tractor as it is with bolt/chain-on forks.

I'm not saying bolt/chain-ons don't work. Everything is a trade off, price, safety, max load, convenience and so forth. Even if all other factors were the same (and they aren't) I would personally hate to have to wrestle with the forks. Depending on what I am doing I may switch back and forth a few times in a day. That alone would be a BIG DEAL with bolt-ons but it isn't with quick attach.

If you are always going to handle light loads, have plenty of maneuvering room, flat terrain, and never take the forks off then ask yourself why you bought a bucket.

Pat

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #7  
mwark said:
I got mine on ebay 4000lb limit for about $650.00 delivered, the quick switch was a perfect fit.
What good is a 4000lb limit when you loader will lift less than half that at the pivot pins, and even less when the load is further from the pivot pins? Sounds like expensive overkill to me.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #8  
Is it not harder to see what you are picking up with the bucket & clamp on forks? I have a hard enough time with my QA forks.:eek: I don't know about you guys with the smaller tractors, but aren't the QA forks actually lighter than a bucket & clamp on forks, thus actually increasing your lifting capacity?:confused:

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks?
What is the process to setup for QA Forks? I have a Kubota L3010 with standard L421 Loader. I have used 3 pt forks and appreciate the visibility but
I need to lift higher than 3 pt allows. I do use the loader a lot and I
am hesitant to swap bucket on and off if it is too difficult.
Let me knwo what you use.

/ Anything Wrong with Bolt on Pallet Forks? #10  
I made some bolt-on forks from some square receiver tubing 5 years ago and have used & abused them - was cheap and works OK for me. Each fork is held with 2, 1/2" bolts thru 2 holes I drilled in the bottom of my bucket. Multiple holes in the forks allow me to adjust the length of the forks but I normally keep them at the shortest setting. I have 4 of these forks made for the bucket - I use 2 of them for moving logs etc. and use all 4 for loading brush etc. I have a rectangular plate of 1/4" steel as a "washer" to use under the self-locking nuts inside the bucket for each fork. These forks can be mounted inside the bucket or underneath it - I almost always have them underneath. I can move 2, 12" dia. x 25' utility poles on 2 of these forks without a groan. Only takes me about 3 minutes to install or remove 2 forks with a couple 3/4" wrenches. Since I got my QA and new bucket 2 years ago, I leave 2 of the forks on the old bucket all the time now and can grab it real quick to use. If you are interested at all, I can take measurements etc. and explain a little better how I did it and take a couple pics.