Anyone have a Tree Shovel

/ Anyone have a Tree Shovel #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
The wife wants to move a bunch o tree around the property. Nothing huge, and our budget nor tractor will allow one of those very cool multi-point hydraulic lifters. I was looking at Dirtworks, then saw one from New Holland (anyone know of a dealer in Washington /Oregon?)

I am wondering if they are any good, who might recommend them, or any alternatives... Because of the PT I am pretty open to different manufactures.

Carl

/ Anyone have a Tree Shovel #2  
Carl,

I have a buddy that has one on a case skid loader. He has used it to move numerous trees and says it gets the job done. I don't have a pressing need for one but if I see one at an auction for a decent price I will have one too.

dsb

/ Anyone have a Tree Shovel #3  
   / Anyone have a Tree Shovel
dapper said:
woodlandfarms,
I too was looking at what your looking at. I ended up ordering a "u-blade" made by Virnig Mfg. It should be in by the end of the week. I went with the open back blade as it looks to be more of a multi purpose tool. take a look at this thread. Would be interested in your comments.

Thanks for the links! So, how much was this open back device? We want to transplant trees, we do have a backhoe but I think it is going to be more trouble than trying something like this. Just struggling with a 1K purchase price and then shipping on top of it...

Carl

/ Anyone have a Tree Shovel #5  
I bought one from Skid Steer Solutions. I believe they are in Washington State. Works real well for transplanting small trees and shrubs. On larger shrubs/trees, ideally you want to "dig in" from more than one side, if you have the room. Very well built, you can put a lot of leverage on these depending on your machine so it needs to be solidly built. Here's a link: Skid Steer Tree Spade For Bobcat Style Skidsteer Loaders

/ Anyone have a Tree Shovel #7  
woodlandfarms,
From what I was able to find out they are all about the same price. Starting at around $700 for "dirtworks" to a litter over $1100 for the one from Bobcat. Mine was $1025, and that was delivered to my door. You may do better, but if you have to pay shipping it usually climbs back up. :( I ended up with the u-blade from Vernig, for the simple fact that I could get it through my local dealer. They were within $30 of what it would cost to order and then ship from some of the others. I now have a little recourse if something goes wrong. Plus the dealer I use for everything else is happy to get some more of my money, :D and I will expect him to remember me the next time I come in for something else. :D I am looking for this to be delivered this week, and will post some pictures when it gets here.

/ Anyone have a Tree Shovel #9  
Probably would work great if you're looking to kill the tree/bush your removing with it. But that might be your intention, like the wife says, lets move that bush next to your barn service door, you know, the one that flowers and smells like urine? ;)

/ Anyone have a Tree Shovel #10