Chains chains for ck20hst

/ chains for ck20hst #1  

jimb1724

Silver Member
Tractor
ck20hst
Just got done doing the driveway after our 16" St Patty's Day snow storm. had a lot of trouble climbing back up the hill due to the wet and packing consistancy of the snow. first time in 3 years using the machine that i've had any traction issues to speak of (R-4's). even locking both rear tires didn't helkp much in some spots...

does anyone have suggestions for chains (type/brand) ? also, recommendations as far as putting chains on just the rear or just the front or both for that matter ?

thanks in advance for the input...

regards,
jim

/ chains for ck20hst #2  
Because you are running R4 go with either a 2 link or a duo that will help keep the chains up out of the grove.
I wouldn't get crazy chaining a 4 just run them on the back.

Best place I found for chains is tirechains.com

/ chains for ck20hst #3  
wallace said:
Because you are running R4 go with either a 2 link or a duo that will help keep the chains up out of the grove.
I wouldn't get crazy chaining a 4 just run them on the back.

Best place I found for chains is tirechains.com

I have been a fan of chains on the front. I like the extra pull plus a draw back to the wood 4 pt. backhoe is the frame only leaves an 1 inch clearance for the back tires on a CK 20 HST so there is not room for chains. This weekend we also go our St. Paddy's Day snow but when I went to plow it with my CK 20 HST with VBar Ladder front chains from Tirechains.com, one of the chains had come off the front right tire. I could not do anything because the tire without the chain would spin while the tire without the chain had all the traction but no drive to it.
If the chains were on the back, at least I could engage both rear tires if one chain fell off and got lost in the snow until a melt down.
Pluses to front chains are they pull the CK20 nice, I climbed right up piled snow banks...see a post by me down a bit with pics called the view and they cost less. I was able with the front chains to do great work with the scraper blade and FEL this winter.
If I had a choice, I would probably have bought rears-as Wallace recommends- and been happy with them except for the Woods backhoe frame clearance problem.