1/2 round culvert question

/ 1/2 round culvert question #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I am going to replace a 42" metal culvert in my creek. The previous owner installed it poorly and it blew out a while ago. I don't feel like dealing with bridges or culverts for this crossing and will be replacing it with a low water crossing using concrete mats. I have access to cheap ones - free.

There is also a small feeder creek close by which I was thinking of using a culvert to make another crossing. The feeder creek is fed by a nearby spring and never flows heavy even after heavy rains. The 42" culvert is way too big to use for this spot but what if I was to cut it in 1/2 and pack dirt on top to create a crossing? I know that sufficiently packed round culverts can take a heavy load. What about a half round culvert with no bottom and packed with dirt the same way?

/ 1/2 round culvert question #2  
You've got my interest. I have a 24" plastic culvert that I'd like to do the same thing with. It'll be good to hear from anyone who has done this.

/ 1/2 round culvert question #3  
You might want to read a thread I strated recently called "Creek Culvert Project."

/ 1/2 round culvert question #4  
If you cut the culvert in half, the bottom will sink and move on you. A culvert works off the simple principle of spreading the load all around it. Without a bottome, it will sink and probably colapse on you.

If it's too tall for your needs, a culvert that size in decent condition is worth a fair amount of money. Easily enough to pay for one half the size that you need.

How are you going to dig out the culvert? Do you have a backhoe?

Whatever you use to dig it out, use the same thing to dig down into the creek where you want to put the culvert. It will work fine if it's set into the creek and half fills up with silt.

Eddie