Can you somehow dye herbicides?

/ Can you somehow dye herbicides? #1  

Boiler74

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4710
Hey all, quick question. Can you somehow dye a herbicide? I'm spraying with my ATV, and it's hard to tell what I've gotten covered. I was thinking if I could use food coloring or some other dye to temporarily color the herbicide, it would help a lot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

/ Can you somehow dye herbicides? #2  
I use pond dye, I forget the proper name. It dissapears after not too long and a gallon goes a loong way. Get it at TSC

/ Can you somehow dye herbicides? #3  
There are products that do this- one is brand name Hi-Light and can be found at agri-supply

ASC # 58691 Spray Indicator

Make sure the stuff mixes with whatever you are spraying, I mixed another brand of dye (it was meant for roundup only) with some 24D and the 24D precipitated out of solution. I checked it before filling my sprayer-what a mess that would have been.

/ Can you somehow dye herbicides? #4  
It's commonly done, but I don't know just what dyes are used with what herbicides. I would think the place you buy the herbicide could probably tell you what dye to use. I know I had a neighbor who used a herbicide mixed with diesel to try to kill lots of small mesquite bushes and he had a real pretty blue/green dye in it so he could tell which bushes he'd already sprayed.

/ Can you somehow dye herbicides? #5  
I use ritz clothing dye, red normally, mixed with Remedy. But with a atv, its easy enough to come back a few days later and can see the plants you missed anyway...........cause you WILL miss some. :)

/ Can you somehow dye herbicides? #6  
swiftboot said:
I use ritz clothing dye, red normally, mixed with Remedy. But with a atv, its easy enough to come back a few days later and can see the plants you missed anyway...........cause you WILL miss some. :)

And some new ones....

/ Can you somehow dye herbicides? #7  
I use Dynamark U.V blue spray indicator made by Agrisolutions. It's pretty pricy so I only use it when I can't see my tire tracks to line up on. It does work well though. With an ATV sprayer though, you wouldn't need much. I get mine from my chemical supplier but Tractor Supply used to stock it. Check there.

/ Can you somehow dye herbicides? #8  
boiler, i just saw this at Rural King store in Kendalville, IN. i think it is dyed and also foams if i'm not mistaken..

/ Can you somehow dye herbicides? #10  
Absolutely, herbicides are dyed all the time,particularly for individual plant application use. Tractor Supply has dye, I believe any ag place selling herbicides will also have dye in stock... or can get it. I use a blue dye for my mesquite spraying.