EHSS

/ EHSS #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I would love to have a larger tractor than my TC40DA since we just expanded our foodplots by about 7 acres to a total of 10. Larger implements would make work go much quicker. Field work is no problem, a gear tractor would be fine for that. Using FEL with grapple on logs and larger rocks takes much more back and forth and makes HST valuable. I really like the HST and the NH line, but wondered how much learning curve there is with the 55DA and larger with EHSS.

/ EHSS #2  
Power Shuttle (EHSS) is easy to learn.

I have used both HST and EHSS. For close quarter work, HST. For any wide open use, EHSS.

If I was doing a lot of pallet work, I would go with HST. For my 15 acres, I would never go with HST.

Match the tranny to the job.
Bob

/ EHSS #3  
I like both the EHSS and the HST also and agree with Doc_Bob about the transmissions use.When i got the TC55DA it took a couple of day's to get used to it but the hp was great to have.Both have there place .

/ EHSS #4  
If your application warrants an EHSS, another advantge is the low RPM it allows. With an EHSS/Power Shuttle such as in my TN70A, I can move a full bucket of heavy manure at 1300 RPM at 10 MPH with ease. Much nicer than 2200 RPM or higher with a HST.
Bob

/ EHSS #5  
can someone go into more detail about the EHSS? how does it work? is it a cross between HST and gear transmissions? would it be ideal for disking and running a rotary cutter?

/ EHSS #6  
RollingFarms,

It is kinda a cross. EHSS (Electronic Hydrualic Shuttle Shift) . You have a Gear Transmission , that can shuttle from Forward to Reverse , without clucthing or coming to complete stop , with the use of Hydrualic fluid and an Electronic Diverter.

When the shuttle lever is pulled from Forward to Reverese , An Electronic control Module diverts the Hydualic fluid slowy/smoothly from the Forward drive pack to the Reverse Drive pack . Thereby you can go from F to R quickly , heavy Loader Use would justify this option IMO.

Used for Disking/Rotary cutter , Don't see why not.

That was my understanding while researching before purchasing our TC55. Compared to the SSS (Standard Shuttle Shift ) , That requires the use of a clutch and coming to an almost complete stop, before engaging the shuttle in the opposite direction. For the Extra $$$$ , we decided that the SSS would be just fine for us.

Dan

/ EHSS
So there's no clutch pedal on EHSS machine. Or does it simple shuttle between forward and reverse in first gear and you use clutch pedal for shifting gears??

/ EHSS #8  
There is an Inching Pedal ( Clutch Pedal ) for inching/easing slowly in close to things. And my understanding from reading other posts about EHSS, that is the only time that the Inching Pedal is used. I do not own an EHSS model so I have not USED one, only Test drove a model on a Dealers Lot , so no real world use.

You pull the Shuttle to nuetrual to shift between Ranges (LOW MID HIGH) and select gears (1 2 3 4). So lets say you select Mid Range , 2nd Gear. The EHSS lets you shuttle quickly between Forward and Reverse , staying in Mid R - 2nd gear. And then you need to Inch Closer to an object , So you use the Inching Pedal ( Which "Restricts/Bypasses" the Hyrdualic Flow ) so you slow down to ease forward to the Object.

Compared to the SSS , which I do Own. You are moving Forward in Mid - 2nd You Cluth , as you slow almost to a stop, you pull the shuttle from F to N then to R and ease back out on the Clutch to start moving in Reverse.

Hope this clarifies things a little, If not maybe someone who owns an EHSS can explain it a little better.

Dan

Last edited:
   / EHSS #9  
The power shuttle allows you to change directions without pushing in the clutch pedal. I usually try to slow momentum and rpms with brake and/or throttle before flipping the lever to change direction of movement.

The clutch pedal is still used when shifting from lower to higher gears while moving, but is not necessary when using the PS lever, even though I find myself depressing it from time to time anyway out of habit. :)

The PS is pronbably most useful when using the FEL. I haven't used my TN to disc yet, but do use the PS alot when hogging as I have alot of areas(hills&slopes) that require forward and reverse direction while mowing. It is also useful when backing the hog under trees and cutting close to obstacles, on the same hills and slopes, where one pass just doesn't cut it.

It is a worthwhile option to me.

/ EHSS #10  
As said above, you'll still use the clutch (inching pedal) to change gears, but you can flip the EHSS lever on the fly to change directions. FEL work, mowing, blading, pushing snow, etc are all good uses. Think of anything you do that you change direction, and the EHSS comes in handy. Forward - reverse - forward again, with no change in RPMs or speed. The dealer's I looked at don't order a tractor for their stock w/o the EHSS if it's available. I was sold as soon as I drove one.