Above Ground Pool Install

/ Above Ground Pool Install #51  
Jim, I think a video of a swimming race between Don and a snake would be quite interesting.

/ Above Ground Pool Install
Don,

The Pool Looks great!

I'm a little behind you......4 Little League games in seven days, real job, side job, Little league Parade, blablabla, etc. It never ends!

Pool parts sit in garage waiting for installation. Next week looks much better.This is where I am so far.

Attachments

• 100_0916.jpg
    100_0916.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 814
  • 100_0920.jpg
    100_0920.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 722
  • 100_0921.jpg
    100_0921.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 959
   / Above Ground Pool Install #53  
Jim, Bird, no animals or reptiles in the pool so far. However, there has been a copperhead and a coachwhip withing ten feet of the pool. With the 52" pool steel wall we hope not to have a problem. The only way in is by the mini deck and the ladder. We leave a foam floatie attached to the ladder so the animals can escape.

We are re-thinking the deck and are considering making it multi-level with only a small part level with the top of the pool, so the pool wall can double as a fence. This morning the water temp is a nice 82 degrees and only grasshoppers and assorted bugs in the strainer basket.

Renob, with the pool on site and the ground broken and the summer heat on top of you, you will have the pool up quickly. What brand pool did you get? If it's Doughboy then our instructions will be the same.

This pools instructions called for the liner to be draped on the sides and then secured with clamps as shown. We had good luck with the ones shown in the picture (99 cents each at Home Depot). As the pool fills tension is released from the clamps. This keeps the wrinkles out because the liner is being stretched while the pool is filling. The tough part is after the pool is 24" deep and then removing the top rail about three sections at a time and re-attaching the liner to the wall. The 22 sections of top rail took us from 7 pm to 1 am to un-install and re-install while one held the liner and the other screwed rails.

Do you have electric in place for the pump? I ran dedicated #10 wire with a 20 amp breaker and GFI plug. HD had a green electrical outdoor pool box outlet with the plug and a switch already to go so I used it and it works fine.

Attachments

• side overlap.jpg
    side overlap.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 801
   / Above Ground Pool Install #54  
Here's a tip for easy remote controll and automation of your pool....

I installed a 20 amp X10 outlet in a waterproof outdoor box on a GFCI circuit breaker for our pool pump. I gave it an address of P1 (P is for Pool ;)). Any outdoor lighting around the pool area gets P2, P3 etc...

I use an X10 mini controller in the kitchen to turn the pool off and on manually. I can unplug it and take it to the garage when I need to do pool maintenance. But that got bothersome, so I installed an X10 reciever in my garage and use a keyfob to turn the pool off when I need to do maintenance.

I also have it on our X10 system timed, so it turns on at 7:00a.m. and off at 7p.m. when I am not home. Works out great.

As others have said, the key to a clean, easy to maintain pool is running the filter often. Another things is the less you use a pool it seems the more you have to clean it. Using it stirs things up and keeps dirt from settling as well as scum from sticking to the sides at the water line.

We also have a bubble wrap type solar cover. That thing will pop the water temps up into the 90's after a week of 80 degree temps if you don't keep an eye on it.

One more tip. If the water in your pool gets too hot, run the filter at night instead of during the day. It will cool it off much faster.

/ Above Ground Pool Install #55  
Renob said:
I am thinking about tackling an above ground pool installation and would appreciate any tips, warnings, recommended books, resources, links, etc.

Buy a good quality "USED" pool at the end of the season and place it on level ground. Lots are available. This way you can find out if you are a pool person or not without too much risk. I picked up a 26x13 six year old SPLASH pool for less than 1/8th its original cost. Supposedly it has a 20 year liner. I'm on my 2nd year without a problem. Easy install. So easy I completely take it down for the winter. This year I put it up for the 2nd time in about 3 hours with my 12 year old son. Keep it simple.

Matt

/ Above Ground Pool Install #56  
HangtoenMatt is right on - we just sold out 27' above ground - for all of $250 - and it's in great shape... the buyer are even going to take it away... the $250 should conver the topsoil I need to fill it back in!

Check places like craigslist - that's where the hot tub that came with the house is going next!

/ Above Ground Pool Install
Thanks all for the information. Pool has been in for a couple of weeks now as installation went well . Can't keep the kids out of it. Deck construction is underway and will be done this week. Then permanant electric will be run in a trench with a dedicated gfci circuit.

The installation actually was not that difficult as long as all is level and round. Thanks again for all tips given, the knowledge given by TBN members is priceless.

Attachments

• 100_0938.jpg
    100_0938.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 889
  • 100_0970.jpg
    100_0970.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 640
  • 100_0972.jpg
    100_0972.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 737
   / Above Ground Pool Install #58  
Renob said:
I am thinking about tackling an above ground pool installation and would appreciate any tips, warnings, recommended books, resources, links, etc.

Thanks

Did one (22' round) back when kids were small. Positives: Taught kids to swim (drown-proofed:D ). Great relaxer after long commute home on hot summer days. Negatives: Friends and neighbors expected me to be the lifeguard. Expensive to open up each year (chemicals). Proper winterizing (especially to keep ice from cutting liner).

Tips: Keep away from trees, and out in full sun. At your latitude, you may want to consider some kind of heating to extend season. If you're on a well, go slow filling (or have it commercially filled), don't want to exceed well drawdown. Level, level, level! Since mine was round, I drove a piece of rebar at the center, and used a 12' 4X4 (hole in one end for rebar) with a level on it and went round-and-round digging, filling, and tamping until completely level. Then levelled sand bottom with it (never had problem with sand, 5' of water made sand bottom very hard/stable). Carefully center liner. Smooth wrinkles as you fill. Enjoy!:)

/ Above Ground Pool Install #59  
Good job Renob!

Hey , my deck construction is also underway and will be done next month.:D
Here is a peek at it in progress, and yes there is a tractor involved!

Attachments

• tractorpooldeck.jpg
    tractorpooldeck.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 786
  • raining everyday.jpg
    raining everyday.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 715
   / Above Ground Pool Install #60  
Renob, do you have your deck up?

Today was splash day in the new pool for the retired group of Lee County volleyball players. (we need a pool so we won't break any bones.:D )
13 people played a competitive 4 games.

The tractor dug the pool below grade, dug and hauled rocks, and moved pallets of cement blocks and retaining wall blocks.

The deck was made with composite decking and Tigerclaw side connectors. The connectors were slow at first but installation was quicker with experience. The deck is 24'X12'.

We play with 20 of the 99 cent balls as seen in the photo and retrieve the balls after each game.

Build it and they will come.

Attachments

• builditnadtheywillcome1.jpg
    builditnadtheywillcome1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 748
  • builditnadtheywillcome2.jpg
    builditnadtheywillcome2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 825