Above Ground Pool Install

/ Above Ground Pool Install #61  
txdon said:
We play with 20 of the 99 cent balls as seen in the photo and retrieve the balls after each game.

Build it and they will come.

That looks like one heck of a good way to cool off, Don. I like your having lots of balls to play with too. That can keep the game going without having to climb out and collect the balls.:)

After a game, do you have lots of sand in the pool? My daughter and her family rate everything they put in the back yard by how much "trash" it will put in the pool. For example, she won't put a fern in her back yard because it sheds leaves and they become trash in the pool.

Your deck looks pretty inviting too. I missed where you said what type of cover you are putting on it. What are your plans?

/ Above Ground Pool Install #62  
Renob,

Nice looking pool. I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish it off. Are you going to put in a wood deck? I did one similar to your were I built a wood deck two feet up around half the pool and cut all the decking to fit the shape of teh pool. Then I cut the legs of the ladder so it was still level and put the cut ends into holes I drilled to hold it in place. A set of stairs led down to cement pavers and a walkway to the clients house. It was pretty simple, but really created a good space for everyone. The two feet elevation in the deck let them see into the pool without having to get up to check on the kids.

Don,

Your pool and deck area really looks nice. You've created an oasis!!!! Keep us posted when you finish off the deck. I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish the roof. Will it be solid to keep out rain, or open beams for shade?

Eddie

/ Above Ground Pool Install #63  
Looks like another very successful project, Don.

/ Above Ground Pool Install #64  
Thanks.
Eddie There will be a 2.5' wide lower deck 32" below the top railing all the way around the pool so cleaning in the winter will be easy. after that rock and plants up to land level. On the back and side of the upper deck (which is level with the pool and set back 8') there will also be a rock patio. The dry moat around the pool is keeping a lot of trash and critters out. The roof is still being formed in my head. I'm leaning to an off center peak toward the pool with a long overhang to knock the glaring west sun out.
Bird, since we only have one person retrieving the balls between games there is very little sand in the pool. Everybody gets in for about 2 hours and then gets out to enjoy the pot luck meal.

We have had the pool up and running for 2 months now the water quality is excellent and the once a day cleaning is enjoyable. Our VB group alternates pools so every other week there is a cool summer party on one hill or the other. The deck once complete will add living space to our 2 room cabin.
So far the 3 things that have made rural living more enjoyable have been the tractor, the golf cart, and now the pool. I think building the pool with a purpose was helpful. Last year one of the pools was no longer available after the owner (one of our VB members) died. The VB group has been a summer tradition around here for 20 years. They are really a nice group of people that take winning seriously.:D

/ Above Ground Pool Install #65  
txdon, what a nice job/ project! What do you estimate your yearly usage will be down in TX, 6 months a year, etc? When I did a calculation on $ per use of a built-in pool up in Connecticut it was outrageous, even if I had it for over ten years using it 4 months a year (4 months requires a heated pool, i.e., hence more money). Never-the-less I am jealous of your quality workmanship, and the pool, but not the tractor since we both have a Kubota!

Best Wishes,

/ Above Ground Pool Install #66  
Bialecki, I would guess from May to September with no additions to keep the water warm and maybe 2 more months with solar heating and a bubble cover. I was surprised with last months electric bill, only $76 (house and pool) but it was a cool and rainy. Chemicals will run about $100 a month (stabilized chlorine, algaecide, test strips, this and that to keep the PH balanced and vinyl cleaner). The sand filter seems to be doing a good job. I Have backwashed it once after a heavy rain to see how much dirt the filter caught and to drain the pool an 1/2 inch. $ to fill the pool initially was about $70 (1550 gallons). I have not had to add any water with the weekly rains, but I might have to add an inch next week. Overall I am pleased with the amount of fun for the $.

/ Above Ground Pool Install #67  
txdon said:
Overall I am pleased with the amount of fun for the $.

Since you only live once, nice to see that you just went for it! Once again nice job!:cool:

One last question, did you design/ create a layout, i.e., AutoCAD, or CADPad (CADPAd = pencil and paper) before you started including the deck, grading etc. or did you see it in your mind and created it as you built it?

Thanks,

Dennis

/ Above Ground Pool Install
Don,

Yes the pool project is finally done. Thanks again for everyone that contributed. Every aspect of the pool install went well. I was quite apprehesive to tackle this part of the project, having no experience with building a pool.

I had built several decks before, so this end was not a problem. It did take some time to decide exactly where I wanted it to meet the pool as to maximize deck space in relation to pool and yard. I am happy with the outcome. The deck is PT wood measuring 12'x16'.

The last part of the project was to dig a 40' trench and install electric from my small workshop to the pool. It sure is nice not having the extension cord across the lawn. I also installed a 40amp timer in the shop to turn the filter on and off. This is a handy addition.

Your project came out fantastic. It looks like your crew is having a blast!

Again thanks for all the help and kind words,

Attachments

• 100_1176.jpg
    100_1176.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 100_1178.jpg
    100_1178.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 4,920
  • 100_1183.jpg
    100_1183.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 1,299
Last edited:
   / Above Ground Pool Install #69  
txdon and Renob, you guys are truly inspirational! Nice work:)

/ Above Ground Pool Install #70  
Renob, good looking deck! it's been nice having a building partner via tractorbynet during this project.:)