All in the same ditch/trench

/ All in the same ditch/trench #1  

LBrown59

Super Star Member
First organized permanent settlement in the northw
Tractor
2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500
Should an electric and phone line running in the same ditch be ran through a separate conduit for each or would running then both in one larger diameter conduit be OK?
How about a gas line in the same trench with them?

/ All in the same ditch/trench #2  
Building code here will not allow it.

mark

/ All in the same ditch/trench #4  
LBrown59 said:
Should an electric and phone line running in the same ditch be ran through a separate conduit for each or would running then both in one larger diameter conduit be OK?
NO WAY in a SINGLE conduit!! NO GAS in the same trench AT ALL.
Here main entrance can be buried direct ( no conduit) AND telephone can go in the same trench ( no conduit) but there must be at least 1 foot of fill between them. Same theory applies underground as to above ground on poles. Telephone men arent suppose to HAVE TO go over electric wires to get to the telephone servic. One of the reasons why anymore..around here..telephone men work from bucket trucks ( plus they are getting too old to be sanding on hooks all day ong)

/ All in the same ditch/trench #5  
Sully2 said:
NO WAY in a SINGLE conduit!! NO GAS in the same trench AT ALL.
Here main entrance can be buried direct ( no conduit) AND telephone can go in the same trench ( no conduit) but there must be at least 1 foot of fill between them. Same theory applies underground as to above ground on poles. Telephone men arent suppose to HAVE TO go over electric wires to get to the telephone servic. One of the reasons why anymore..around here..telephone men work from bucket trucks ( plus they are getting too old to be sanding on hooks all day ong)

I taught my father to climb poles when he was in his mid fifties. He did fine.

As for the same trench, think of the potential. Can you imagine the fun power would have playing on all the equipment attached to your phone lines? If you had them in the same vicinity and an auger or digging attachment was able to contact both entities at the same time you would have power playing with your puter, your telly, and your phones.

If gas was in there, hmmm, sparks and fuel, sounds like a real party.

This is along the line of the logic of running your waste and water supply lines in the same trench............

/ All in the same ditch/trench #6  
LBrown59 said:
As others have said, don't put them in the same conduit, you'll get the electromagnetic field feeding into the phone line.

I've seen gas and electric in the same trench, it's just 2 feet wide and they're at the opposite sides. Same with water and waste lines. Neither of them are supposed to leak anyway. Keeping the water higher than the waste helps too.

Monte

/ All in the same ditch/trench #7  
LBrown59 said:

My 200-amp electric service cables run in 3" dia conduit buried about 24" deep. The building inspector said to drop the direct-burial phone cable in the same trench and backfill. No minimum separation required. Phone works OK.

Don't know about the gas line. Seems to me that it would be safer to run it in a separate trench, especially if you plan to use plastic gas line. My gas line is the black steel type that runs in a separate trench.

/ All in the same ditch/trench #8  
12 Inch seperation, thats all on service drops (from the street to the house). Gas lines depend on localities, here its OK, just that 12" rule. We load up trenches with as much as possible, the local gas co loves it when we call them with an open trench so they can drop in their lines. Most utility co's these days require pipe, and no sharing the same conduit.

The only exception to the same trench rule is potable water and sewer lines must be in seperate trenches, sewer generally by itself.

/ All in the same ditch/trench #9  
I have dug up two water lines that were laid right on top of sewer lines. I guess this is a new generation rule, cause it sure didn't apply here, back in the early sixties.
David from jax

/ All in the same ditch/trench
LBrown59 said:
PS
The electric lines would be for branch circuits from the entrance panel not for main 200 amp service line(s) coming in from the pole.
I'm talking about a 15 Amp and a 20 Amp run.