Tractor Project Forum Question

/ Tractor Project Forum Question #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
I noticed the new sticky in this forum a couple of days ago (and I'm typing this on my laptop - sitting on my tractor - pondering a project) ;)

Since the topic context here is supposed to be tractor projects - understandably... but it seems like there have been (myself included) a fair number of other questions being asked about "farm-ish" things...

Where do other members of this forum (the best wealth of knowledge on the Internet) go to post non-tractor specific things and get/receive "rural living" information?

I want to respect this board and stick to "tractoring" - but at the same time I want to join in the related conversations...

/ Tractor Project Forum Question #2  
As the forum description mentions, this forum is for threads about projects where you use your TRACTOR, not projects in general.

As I read the above post, I would think he means put those other (non tractor) projects in either rural living or related topics forums.
You can go to that particular post and click the notify moderator sign and ask one of them directly.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Project Forum Question #3  
I was also curious what that sticky post was about. I'm probably guilty of posting topics in the wrong areas as much as anybody else, but nobody has ever said anything. I just figured it was sort of a guildline, and not a written in stone rule. Reading the way that sticky is worded, I'm hesitent to post any more projects there because it seems somebody in charge is very upset about it.

Guess it might be time to abandon the Project Forum and just post in the Related Topics area.

Eddie

/ Tractor Project Forum Question #4  
fishpick said:
I noticed the new sticky in this forum a couple of days ago (and I'm typing this on my laptop - sitting on my tractor - pondering a project) ;)

Since the topic context here is supposed to be tractor projects - understandably... but it seems like there have been (myself included) a fair number of other questions being asked about "farm-ish" things...

Where do other members of this forum (the best wealth of knowledge on the Internet) go to post non-tractor specific things and get/receive "rural living" information?

I want to respect this board and stick to "tractoring" - but at the same time I want to join in the related conversations...

Try this one CountryByNet.com :: The Country Life Community

/ Tractor Project Forum Question #5  
All the admins have to do is rename the projects section to Tractor Projects that should eliminate all confusion in this matter
Thanks for your time
Jim
:)

/ Tractor Project Forum Question #6  
Trust me guys - nobody is "in trouble" for posting non tractor projects in the projects forum.

As tbn continues to grow it becomes more difficult for users to find the information they are looking for. If we are a bit more dilligent in keeping similar threads in the same place, they should be easier to find.

Non tractor projects can go in Rural Living or Related Topics.

/ Tractor Project Forum Question #7  
I think a lot of us first came to the forum when we started looking for a tractor or needed to troubleshoot a machine. With all the wisdom and info here I was able to purchase the right machine for me. After our initial questions are figured out, I think most of us stay for the various projects and rural living topics, and help out others with tractor questions who start out like we did. It's a unique community with a tremendous amonut of knowledege about all sorts of topics. I'm not a big poster, but I read the forum pretty much everyday and try to answer questions where I feel I may have to some input. Some of my favorite threads (and others if the lengths of the threads are any indication) have been on fencing, pole barns and re-models- most of which have been in the projects forum. Perhaps we need a dedicated forum category for these types of threads. Netiquette is very important in forums, but I'd hate to have people stop posting these types for threads due to not knowing where to do it or fear of getting there post removed.

/ Tractor Project Forum Question #8  
Maybe a "General Projects" or "Miscellaneous Projects" section. Add to the Related Topics..."Related Topics/General Projects.

I think sometimes it is hard to decide where to put a new thread concerning projects. I posted in the Projects section " Culvert Extension and Phone Pole Question". I used the tractor 95% of the time to complete this project. However my thread did not ask anything about using the tractor. So I was not sure if I should post that in the projects section or Related topics.

From looking at most of the threads in the Projects Section it seems the tractor would be used for most of them though not directly referenced in the thread.

I will be starting a thread on building my house soon. I used the tractor to clear the land with the help of a track loader and dozer, lots of pictures.

The majority of the thread will be the building process with more tractor photos of the landscaping at the end.

Should this go in the Projects Section or Related Topics?

I think most of the confusion comes from seeing the word Projects and not reading the small print below it. Where a heading Related Topics/General Projects could help prevent some of this.:) Just a thought.

/ Tractor Project Forum Question #9  
hunterridgefarm said:
Maybe a "General Projects" or "Miscellaneous Projects" section. Add to the Related Topics..."Related Topics/General Projects.

I think sometimes it is hard to decide where to put a new thread concerning projects. I posted in the Projects section " Culvert Extension and Phone Pole Question". I used the tractor 95% of the time to complete this project. However my thread did not ask anything about using the tractor. So I was not sure if I should post that in the projects section or Related topics.

From looking at most of the threads in the Projects Section it seems the tractor would be used for most of them though not directly referenced in the thread.

I will be starting a thread on building my house soon. I used the tractor to clear the land with the help of a track loader and dozer, lots of pictures.

The majority of the thread will be the building process with more tractor photos of the landscaping at the end.

Should this go in the Projects Section or Related Topics?

I think most of the confusion comes from seeing the word Projects and not reading the small print below it. Where a heading Related Topics/General Projects could help prevent some of this.:) Just a thought.

Good post! You pretty well covered the problem of trying to restrict a forum too tightly. The normal response of a person wanting to post about a "project" is to go to a forum labeled "Projects" (or similar). If the moderators really insist on the restriction then they need to rename this forum "Projects - Tractors Only" (or similar) and make clear rules to cover the points you raised.

It seems like a "tempest in a teapot" to me but then I am not a moderator or a site owner.

Harry K

/ Tractor Project Forum Question #10  
Try to get your posts in the proper forum to the best of your ability, but if a moderator or administrator thinks it's in the wrong place, one of us can always move it. When I've moved threads to another forum, it's most commonly because there's a question that I think will be seen more and be more likely to get good answers in the other forum. But with so much good information so many places, even moderators (well . . . this one, anyway:eek: ) may put something in the wrong place at times. Like Hazmat said, no one is in trouble for it.;)