Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti CK35 With KL130 Loader

Default Re: Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole?

Either way would work for filling in the hole. If you do not cut the ramp, and just dump, do as people say; work your way slowly into the fill area. This way is faster, but the compaction will be less. if you do not mound the dirt a little over the area when you are finished, this way WILL lead to there being a depression when the dirt settles over time.

The other way, cutting a ramp and placing your fill in the hole in 1 or 2 foot lifts is the best way to acheive compaction, which will allow you to leave less mounded over the area to compensate for settling. The lighter or smaller your machine, the smaller the lifts should be. After you get your first lift into the hole, put a full load of dirt into your bucket and roll the lift down a few times before putting in the next lift. If your fill is on the dry side you can add a little water with a hose before you roll it to help get better compaction as well.

If you choose to you another form of compaction, I would personally use a whack-a-packer rather than a plate compactor. It may wear out the body, but I beleive it does a better job than a plate.

Just my few cents...

Rowdy

Tractor
    NH TC34DA 34HP HST, 2 rear remotes, front diverter, loaded R4's, MF 30 TLB

I moved and compacted 4000 yards of fill. I think compacting is a requirment. In a 24' circle a roller is too big and you will not be able to reach the edge and it is REALLY heavy. A plate will work better. You have to compact in 8" lifts max.
    If you do not compact evenly in 8" lifts you will have holes in a couple of years and it will settle 4-6 " min, I would not be surprised at a foot. Since the compacting should be done evenly and the compacter is rented you want to be really efficient. Ramp, cut it in with the FEL so you can get in there and spread the material around. It is really best to compact an 8" lift at a time.
    Bob H
    NH 2007 TC34DA 1985 MF30E Hoe

Tractor
    NH 1925

I would make sure that the customer expected it too settle, and I would compact.

Even when compacted, I am betting you will need to go back in 6 months and top dress. Tell the customer that up front, and they will not be mad (you hope) but when it settles in 6 months (especially if you told them it won't because you compacted it) they will not be a happy customer.

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

I am not sure why anyone would want to move the dirt that makes up the sides of the hole to build a ramp. That dirt is already compacted and shouldn't be disturbed, if possible. I would simply start pushing new fill from the side, allowing it to fall into the hole until I had filled it enough to allow me to push to the far side. Since soils are different in my part of the country, I can't completely be sure of yours, but with the sand we have, disturbing the existing sides is a no no.
    I filled a man made pond on a piece of property I owned simply by using a box blade that was wider than the tractor wheels. I would just fill the box blade and drive around the pond allowing the end of the box blade to extend over the water. Kind of what you are doing except you have to be concerned about falling into a hole, whereas my concern was getting in over my head.
    The tractor I used was a small compact, so weight on the sides wasn't a big factor, but I also didn't have a loader or backhoe, both of which can be used to keep you away from the sides of the hole until you have enough to make a ramp without disturbing the existing sides of the hole.
    David from jax

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kabota

I am curious what the contour of the area around that hole is.
    I suspect anyone putting an above ground pool into a hole (I think that is what was done) would be so cheap as to not pay to have the removed soil carted off. It was probably distributed around the hole.
    Before paying to have that much new soil brought in I would see if just distributing whats available on site.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Put dirt in it.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by Knotbored
    I am curious what the contour of the area around that hole is.
    1*I suspect anyone putting an above ground pool into a hole (I think that is what was done) would be so cheap as to not pay to have the removed soil carted off.
    It was probably distributed around the hole.
    2*Before paying to have that much new soil brought in I would see if just distributing whats available on site.
    1*& 2* Why would anybody want to pay to haul out what cost good hard earned money to get hauled in?
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD2520 and JD455

Well, I finally found time to sit down and read responses to my post, and it looks like we're all over the map on this one. Basically my concerns were 1) tractor falling in the hole with me strapped to it 2) tractor just getting stuck it the hole 3) Getting whatever I put in the hole to compact so I do not have to come back again later. So just to recap/clarify a few things/answer some questions:
    - The pool site is basically completely level. It is literally (once I remove the pool parts from the hole) a 24' diameter hole with sides all around 4' straight down.
    - I and the homeowner (it was that way when they bought it) have no idea where the dirt from that hole ended up. The lot (mayby an acre and a bit more )is mostly flat but drops away towards the back. There are actually several low spots in the front yard that could use more topsoil. There are some dormant planting beds in the fenced pool area that will become fill but not more that about 5 or 10 yards. She is aware how much fill it will take, how much it will cost , and is ready to pay for it.
    - A good friend of mine has a "wacka-packer" that I could borrow for free if wanted but only is 12" square and will shake the fillings right out of your teeth. A roller/compactor is out of the question. Folks around here hire themselves out with their 1-2 ton rollers to "roll" lawns in the spring but will not go near anything that isn't already basically solid and level because they get stuck REAL easy. Around here, 16" plate compactors rent for only $50 a day and I've been told do a good job for about 8-12" max.
    - I'm going to be "disturbing" other dirt in the immediate area anyway because I will need to dig out the planting beds and backhoe out several fence posts.

I've always had very good results with fill and topsoil by using my bucket to backdrag and spread each bucket load as I go. This usually does a great job of compacting as I go.
    Thats why I'm still thinking the ramp is the best way so I can drive down into the hole. However I don't think I need to start nearly as far back cause what I dig out can start going right into the hole. Basically a ramp half in and half out of the hole. I really think this is similar to how someone with a dozer would attack it (what say you dozer guys?) If I just start dumping dirt in the hole it will be nearly full before I can drive on it and then I will have an issue with compacting it. Probably going to be a couple of weeks before I start on this so any new ideas still welcome
    Hemiguy

Veteran Member workinallthetime's Avatar
    Tractor
    b3030 TLB,zd326

hemi hemi hemi,
    been there done that !!! push down 2' on one side 1/2 again as wide as your tractor. Then start filling it in, you will be able to drive on your fill pretty quick and start packing it. i built a ramp to burry a trapoline and this thing was steep but i was still able to crawl out of it. I understand what your saying about the compactor but i think thats overkill for grass dont you? cut a little ramp and start fillin it in, dont over think the project it is just a hole your filling up.
    equipment = L45 tlb, zd326p
    attachements = disk, pallet forks, box blade, 4n1, thumb, ld material bucket
    past equipment = b???? old slow no p/s, bx23 tlb, b3030 tlb, mf 175, jd301a

Tractor
    NH 1925

I guess I wish I could fast forward and see if it settles.

HF has a small plate compactor that they put on sale for $500 I think that I have. It has been a good value for us. They also now have a larger one.

Cutting your ramp half in and half out makes sense. I think it would go fairly quick pushing into the open like that.

I guess my one, disagreement (and that is not right, you know your area far better then I obviously) but I would be very careful to let them know it will settle (at least in my area) I want them calling me back to do more work, not calling me complaining there is a depression in their yard

Hope it works out well for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast