Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole?

/ Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole? #1  

hemiguy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2520 and JD455
I really need some advice here. I do small landscape and excavation jobs as a side thing. Basically a hobby that brings in a few extra bucks. Recently did a couple of fill-ins where folks have taken out above ground pools. Just did one that took 25 yds of fill & topsoil. It was on a slight slope so one side was grade level and the other side was about 2' deep. Really an easy job.

Now here's the one I need advice on. The customer (also a good friend) bought a house where the previous owner put an above ground pool down in a 4ft deep hole. Thats right, they made a cheap inground pool. It looks awfull (no deck or patio, surrounded by weeds, and not maintained) so she would like it gone.

So once the pools pumped out and parts removed its gonna take 75yds of fill plus maybe 10-15 of topsoil. But how do I do this without me and tractor falling in the hole? This would be easy for a good sized excavator w/36" bucket but thats not what I have. I have a JD2520 with FEL and BH. The pool site is about completely level and also not where the dump trucks are not going to be able to get very close to it.

So I am thinking that before I remove the pool I should use my BH and loader to dig a ramp down into the hole, starting maybe 20' back from the edge, and then put a load of #1 crushrun stone down to firm it up for MANY loader runs down into the hole. Also thinking I should rent a plate compactor and run it over every 12-18" of fill I lay down. Does this sound like a good plan? Any other ideas? I do not want to be stuck in that hole so I'm waiting for Late June/July when it usually plenty dry around here.

Any suggestions and advice appreciated.

/ Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole? #2  
Think I would build my ramp with the fill I am dumping. Unless there is building planned for the spot a plate compactor may be over kill. Once in the hole the tractor should compact the area well enough to make settling minor.

MarkV

/ Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole? #3  
I filled in our partly in ground pool with my 22HP Bota and FEL. Started with about 30 yds of sand, then 5 top soil.

Our pool had a 20" wide lip around the edge, and the deep part was only half the pool, so I wasn't worried about falling in.

I just started dumping and pushing the sand into the hole, pushing it out further. By the time I was on the sand, it was pretty loose, but other than the fear of getting stuck (I did have to use the FEL to push myself back out once or twice), it worked find.

I think the ramp is overkill, I'd just start pushing it and try to stay out of the hole until it's full.

ron

/ Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole? #4  
I don't have any experience on this, but FWIW I agree completely with RonR. I think you can just push fill in from the sides and then drive on areas that have already had fill. I find my tractor does a decent job of dozing if there's much more loose material than a full bucket - I just get the bucket full and keep pushing and can push a lot of material at a time that way.

/ Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole? #5  
I think Mark is right. Build a ramp by cutting from the side, much like a house foundation or cellar is cut in with a dozer. This makes it safe for you and can be filled behind you as you finish.

/ Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole? #6  
RonR said:
I filled in our partly in ground pool with my 22HP Bota and FEL. Started with about 30 yds of sand, then 5 top soil.

Our pool had a 20" wide lip around the edge, and the deep part was only half the pool, so I wasn't worried about falling in.

I just started dumping and pushing the sand into the hole, pushing it out further. By the time I was on the sand, it was pretty loose, but other than the fear of getting stuck (I did have to use the FEL to push myself back out once or twice), it worked find.

I think the ramp is overkill, I'd just start pushing it and try to stay out of the hole until it's full.

ron
Word.

/ Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole? #7  
I'd do as those who suggested dozing in the fill as you go with the loader. As you pull onto the new fill, don't pull all the way in until its solid. If the front sinks a bit, dump some more on the spot and smooth and pack with the bucket. Go in slow, if you start to sink, dump the load and push out with the bucket.
With your hoe on, you have a lot of counterweight. I've noticed mine allows me to do most loader work in 2wd, keeping 4wd as kind of a safety if I start to spin backing out.

/ Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole? #8  
Why not simply use your FEL to cut one side of the hole down without using any gravel and push the dirt it? No special fill needed and you'll have a solid (but steeper) ramp if you really need one while pushing fill into the hole.....

/ Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole? #9  
You have a backhoe... just pull the pool walls out of the hole with that, then start filling in from one end by dumping in. Unless the fill you use is really loamy, soft stuff, shouldn't you be able to drive over it after you dump it in? I see no reason to go the ramp and compaction route, unless the owner wants to put a patio in the old pool place.

/ Best way to fill in a 24'dia x 4'deep hole? #10  
I agree with the others on just building a ramp out of fill.
But, i would compact it. Rent one of those rolling ones (two wheels, you steer it from the side) and compact it every foot or so.
Nothing worse than a falling hole and that's a lot of fill
Add the rental cost into the bid, it will be worth it in the end when ti's perfect and won't fall even after years of sitting there.
A good compaction is the sign of a professional. (it will also set you apart)

You know, we REALLY NEED A BUSINESS FORUM. (HINT)