Trying to install my Quanza Hut

/ Trying to install my Quanza Hut
49tandc said:
Hey Tile...

Where in FL are you located? I'm west of Gainesville & the background looks familiar.

49T&C

We are in Pierson about 20 miles west of Ormond Beach
and 15 miles north of Deland. We are about 120 or so miles from GATORBACK cycle park up in Gainesville.

Ron.

/ Trying to install my Quanza Hut #22  
I go down to Astor ocasionally to see a guy about some junk. Nice looking shed, great size. He was looking at some of these for himself, but I think he went with a different style.
How is it holding up? Any problems without the caulk?
David from jax

/ Trying to install my Quanza Hut #23  
Any pictures of the finished Quanza Hut?

I helped someone install a few panels on one of these about three years ago. The sections look just like the ones on yours.

I remember a few bolts holes that were very difficult to align between the two adjacent overlapping panels. A few blots just work not go, so we left a few bolts out. When the hut was complete there were a few extra panels that were bent that were not used. We put in the bolts with some play and then tightened all the bolts after all the panels where up. This allowed for some movement when the bolt holes in the panels did not align.

It did not have of the base plate that you bolted to the slab and then bolted the sections to. It used a concrete header raised about the slab with a channel in the center. The panels dropped into the channel in the concrete. Then when the plates were all in place, the channel was filled with concrete. So the bottom of the panels was set in concrete, about 10 inches deep.

We did not use any caulking or sealer.

/ Trying to install my Quanza Hut
Hi guys I do have pics of the barn just been real busy at work and working at home stuff :)

The barn is up and my doors are installed. Last week I did my floor in epoxy just have to sand it one more time then poly -thane it.

Got pics of that too and had no problem on the epoxy part cause that what I do for work :)

Ill try to post them this week some time.

Ron.

/ Trying to install my Quanza Hut #25  
I have an arch metal building. Same type, Pioneer out of Canada. I just started putting it up. I have been using the Butyl tape caulking. I have been having problems lining up the wholes. I am thinking it is the caulking. The caulking may not allow proper movement of the arches to align up the holes. I am also thinking, if the holes can't line up properly, it may cause the holes to get larger from using drift pins, which may cause leaking around bolt holes. I am thinking of trying some extra oil on the top arch, which might allow more movement of the arch panels to allow better alignment. Or, if that doesn't work, I guess no caulking, any ideas welcome. Thanks!

/ Trying to install my Quanza Hut #26  
I have an arch metal building. Same type, Pioneer out of Canada. I just started putting it up. I have been using the Butyl tape caulking. I have been having problems lining up the wholes. I am thinking it is the caulking. The caulking may not allow proper movement of the arches to align up the holes. I am also thinking, if the holes can't line up properly, it may cause the holes to get larger from using drift pins, which may cause leaking around bolt holes. I am thinking of trying some extra oil on the top arch, which might allow more movement of the arch panels to allow better alignment. Or, if that doesn't work, I guess no caulking, any ideas welcome. Thanks!

No caulking is needed, Porgy. We put up our Pioneer metal arch building about four years ago, without caulking. It does not leak.

/ Trying to install my Quanza Hut #27  
I put up one 2005.I only used caulk at the very top over concerns with snow sitting up there. I had some alignment issues where the support angles were due to 3 thicknesses of metal at that point, but if you do not tighten up the bolts as you go, you should get everything to go. Mine does not leak where I didn't caulk either. Mine is a 40 x 60' S style.

/ Trying to install my Quanza Hut #28  
We don't get a lot of bad weather here. A lot of rain in spring, a lot of snow in winter. I don't know much about Texas. I assume the weather there is about the same where I live, and I live in the midwest. I might assume Iowa is the same in Illinois or typical. Iowa probably gets a little more bad weather than Illinois. When you mean
I had some alignment issues where the support angles were due to 3 thicknesses of metal at that point, but if you do not tighten up the bolts as you go, you should get everything to go.
What do you mean. We have tried both ways, We'll tighten up as we go, and everythings seems O.K. then all of a sudden an arch panel hole will be off with the other panel. We'll get it straight then go a ways, then again another hole off alignment. We tried putting in more bolts loosly then tightening, but we have the same problem. We got 3 panels up, took us two days, and I got blisters. We have tightened up as we go, the three arch panels are tightened up now. So I guess we tighten as we go. We also have not been using scaffolding. I am going to have to get some. We have been using the back of our pickup and a ladder. Man I'll tell you, it is contankerious. That building. I think I'll go without the caulk. May put some at top arch. Not sure on that either. I'll try one arch out at the top, if that is to much of a problem, then I won't mess with it. Thanks!

/ Trying to install my Quanza Hut #29  
I cheated and used a scissor lift when I put mine up. I put up1/2 arch at a time max.. I did some single panels at a time when I had no help,

/ Trying to install my Quanza Hut #30  
I don't plan on using the caulking anymore. One thing that does bother me. When roofing, most roofers know to put your cap shingles facing the opposite direction of the worst weather. With me the worst weather I have is from the west. I should have thought more clearly and put the arch overlaps facing away from the west. Unfortunatly there facing the west side. To late now to change it. I just hope it doesn't leak. A sizzor lift would be great, but at 75 to 100 bucks a day, it gets kind of expensive. Me and a hired helper are doing it, but I will have to get some scaffolding. I was hoping on saving a few bucks, but I guess murphys law got the best of it.