How much does lime cost per ton.

/ How much does lime cost per ton. #1  

ejb

Platinum Member
Hi guys...quick question. I need to lime 30 acres of unimproved pasture as a first step in getting some decent hay. 2 tons/acre according to the extension service.

Any ballpark estimates on what it costs per ton delivered (i.e. not in 50lb bags), in New England BTW as it probably varies by region.

/ How much does lime cost per ton. #2  
If you were here, I would tell you to call the co-op. They also rent the big trailer spreader that spreads the lime that you tow behind the truck.

Last time I was speaking with someone that had that done, he said it was cheaper to just have the co-op do it all, then it was for him to pay his hired hands to do it.

Have no idea what it is like in your area though, and sorry, do not remember the bulk price, we are usually doing smaller bagged jobs.

/ How much does lime cost per ton. #3  
If my memory is correct my brothers and I paid $900 for two loads spread onto our fields and I think each load was 15 ton. The local feed mill did it.

/ How much does lime cost per ton. #4  
Here it is only 39$ a ton if they do it. you can get it for less if you spread it. The price of Lime is up and down all the time .For 39$ to 59$ if they spread it. If they are not taking it out of the ground it goes up.

/ How much does lime cost per ton. #6  
I'm in Michigan but this might be of interest to some readers. Just today I had a four ton PTO lime spreader delivered full to my hunting property so I can apply two tons per acre on a couple of deer food plots. The lime was only $26.50 per ton, then I paid an additional $50.00 for use and delivery of the spreader. For the quantity you need you might want to have the 60 tons dumped at your property then rent a spreader to do it yourself.

/ How much does lime cost per ton. #7  
If you have a way to haul it, ag lime goes for a few bucks (I was quoted something like $3/ton) at rock quarries.

/ How much does lime cost per ton. #8  
Your Extension will help you find a source...they also should advise you regarding ECCE (or the effective Calcium Carbonate equivalent).

The ECCE is a measure of the capacity of the lime to raise pH; it varies with the sources of the lime. If you do some calculation using it, you can save some $$.

/ How much does lime cost per ton. #9  
Yesterday i saw AG Lime at $12.50 / Ton you guys were paying 30 cents!!!!! ???? this is from a quarry... wow... anyone else have recent prices??? thx

/ How much does lime cost per ton. #10  
Skerby said:
Yesterday i saw AG Lime at $12.50 / Ton you guys were paying 30 cents!!!!! ???? this is from a quarry... wow... anyone else have recent prices??? thx
Which quarry? Being the linestone capital of the WORLD you'd thing they would give the stuff away. There is an active quarry by Bedford that I thought about calling.

Wedge