backhoe+8 ton jack+3 ton come-along= minus one stump

/ backhoe+8 ton jack+3 ton come-along= minus one stump #1  

irwin

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota L35TLB, '89' Cub Cadet 1541
I had to do it! It was right there, right where the outside stall door is going, the stall, where the wife wants her much loved arab horse to live..................First the backhoe, dug around, snapped quite a few roots, but couldn't manage the big ones, and for added digging pleasure, it was too near the barn. ..........................So out came the sawzall, oops, too many ct boulders in root ball!..took about 8 hours with prybars (various sizes) pry out the rocks, then cut --finally at 3pm today with a 8 ton bottle jack and a 3 ton come-along........................................................................................................ got it to pop out .............................................................. must weigh close to 1000lbs, only way I was able to lift it was lift arms til they stopped then curl bucket................................................................I know this was too big for my tractor, i made a promise to myself, stumps must be no larger than half this one, anything larger and the stump either stays or gets the kerosene/diesel fuel treatment and neighbors will have to put up with the smoke...:rolleyes:

/ backhoe+8 ton jack+3 ton come-along= minus one stump
And after filled the hole, it will settle quite a bit. will deal with that next weekend......it was 3 1/2 feet from the barn right in front of my feet in first picture..........................................................................................I weighed 220 before we sold both our houses and bought this place..:D ...I'm about 175 now......................................................................................... My one bad habit, dominican cigars..:eek:

/ backhoe+8 ton jack+3 ton come-along= minus one stump #3  
Tim,

You got it all wrong! The stump isn't too big, the tractor is too small. Keep telling yourself that, over and over. Now, go see the dealer and just look around!

He he he - my evil side popped out like that stump popped out of the ground! Good job with it!

jb

/ backhoe+8 ton jack+3 ton come-along= minus one stump #4  
Hi, nice job on the stump.
I've never seen a "barn" constructed like that befor. Did you build it?
Is that galv fence tubing, wood framed over?
Cheers

/ backhoe+8 ton jack+3 ton come-along= minus one stump #5  
Next time use the come along and backhoe first, before using the chain saw to cut it at ground level. Then you'll be able to pull over even bigger trees than this one.
I have removed trees of this rootball size with just a tractor, no saw. The more the tree starts to lean over, the more gravity will take over your labor.

Renze said:
Next time use the come along and backhoe first, before using the chain saw to cut it at ground level. Then you'll be able to pull over even bigger trees than this one.
I have removed trees of this rootball size with just a tractor, no saw. The more the tree starts to lean over, the more gravity will take over your labor.

Renze:
I agree with you, I didn't think this one out. When I cut the tree for wood last year, we hadn't decided where the barn was going. After checking all the particulars, this spot was the best for drainage and ease of access. Although I haven't yet taken a root ball like you described, I'll remember next time.
thanks...tim

john_bud said:
Tim,

You got it all wrong! The stump isn't too big, the tractor is too small. Keep telling yourself that, over and over. Now, go see the dealer and just look around!

He he he - my evil side popped out like that stump popped out of the ground! Good job with it!

jb

I get it, so I do need a bigger tractor...;)

Just had to revisit this thread to prove my mighty tractor can take out three trees at once...:rolleyes:

well this really is more my speed anyway..:D