ground hard as a rock....can't get post hole digger to dig

/ ground hard as a rock....can't get post hole digger to dig #1  

moloss

Silver Member
Tractor
share Kubota M6800
it's been so dry up here in north alabama that the ground is hard as a rock....I can't get more than a few inches into the ground until it stops.....the equipment is in perfect condition so........does anyone have any suggestions? I poured some water where I want to put the posts......should I start it with a pick ax? help......thanks.

/ ground hard as a rock....can't get post hole digger to dig #2  
moloss said:
it's been so dry up here in north alabama that the ground is hard as a rock....I can't get more than a few inches into the ground until it stops.....the equipment is in perfect condition so........does anyone have any suggestions? I poured some water where I want to put the posts......should I start it with a pick ax? help......thanks.

Well, I'm just an old dumb Yankee;) but I was in your situation once. I had to dig 30 16" x 36" deep deck footings. Believe it or not, I took my big D-handle low speed drill I use for mixing plaster & tile mud and drilled 6 or 8 1" holes into the ground where each footing was to go with a long (like 20") spade bit. Then I filled the holes with water and repleneshed them a few times during the day with the garden hose. I used my portable generator for power. Next day the PHD plowed right down no problem.

Worked great.

/ ground hard as a rock....can't get post hole digger to dig #3  
I think your options are 1) Take Builders suggestion on watering, 2) hope for rain, or 3) wait until fall.... LOL

I planted a tree a few years back in our red clay and it took me hours to go down just a foot or so.. It was soak the ground, chip off a few pieces of red clay, soak the ground, chip off a few pieces of red clay, (lather, rinse, repeat)..

good luck

brian

/ ground hard as a rock....can't get post hole digger to dig #4  
I remember dry....I wish I could send you some of this rain!!!!!!!

I usually make sure the "teeth" are sharp on my auger. When it stops digging I usually hold the PHD to one side and then rock over to the other side. Usually rocking it back and forth will break through the "surface crust" and it will eventually go on down.

I've had to fill holes with water in the past and come back the next day but that was rarely necessary.

/ ground hard as a rock....can't get post hole digger to dig #5  
Several used back (prior to even thinking of owning a tractor) I used a one-man phd under the same conditions. What worked best for me was to have someone else spray water at the ground/auger.

/ ground hard as a rock....can't get post hole digger to dig
just came in from starting holes and then pouring in water, again....maybe over night it will loosen up some....I'll try running the phd with water in the hole (sounds good to me).....with tomorrow being Sunday I will not be able to get back to the fence until after church....I'll let y'all know....and again thanks for the suggestions....Chris.

/ ground hard as a rock....can't get post hole digger to dig #7  
moloss said:
....with tomorrow being Sunday I will not be able to get back to the fence until after church.....
Good deal! You have great priorities. :)

/ ground hard as a rock....can't get post hole digger to dig #8  
Just like a drill bit for drilling a metal hole, the auger bit needs to be SHARP. It's probably dull as toast. Possibly at the wrong angle too. The do make replacement tips for augers, special ones for hard soil.

While you probably don't have time to do this now, you can rig up a weight holder for the top of the PHD.

/ ground hard as a rock....can't get post hole digger to dig #9  
If you have another tractor with a front loader on it you can use it to apply a little down pressure on the digger , most times you just have to rest the bottom of the bucket on it .

/ ground hard as a rock....can't get post hole digger to dig #10  
I'm a contr. I have 3 elec. jack hammers with shovel bitts for just what You have. Rent one,well worth it.