Slab vs Helical Pier vs Concrete Pier

/ Slab vs Helical Pier vs Concrete Pier #11  
I believe there's seven different kinds of clay here in north Texas. Most of us have them in layers. The latest technique I've seen used in better homes and businesses with slabs is removing the soil down a couple of layers, ten or so feet deep. The soil is mixed so that there are no longer layers but a consistant mix of the layers. Then the soil is compacted as it goes back into the cavity. The piers are still drilled and they are still belled.

Some friends of mine in the foundation repair business believe in poured concrete piers. They also agree the two best designs for the concrete piers is the properly belled pier and the repair pier that has two piers from the same haunch drilled like an inverted V. The desgn of these piers precludes not only sinking but heaving.

If I was to build a home in north Texas clays I'd go with pier and beam. The piers would be belled and the beams would be substantial. I just helped a friend build a pier and beam foundation. We didn't bell the piers but his soil is sandy loam with just a little clay.

/ Slab vs Helical Pier vs Concrete Pier
So far, I haven't been able to find anyone that has the capability to drill belled piers. I also think that would be a good way to go. I'll keep looking to find someone that can give me an estimate.

The helical piers would stop the up/down movement, but I'm not sure how well they would hold up to the sideways movements.

If anyone has a pier and beam that has the girders attached directly to the helical piers, I would like to hear your opinions. Also, if anyone knows a contractor in the Northeast Texas/Southwest Arkansas area that can drill belled piers, I would like to have their information.

Thanks for the replies!!!

/ Slab vs Helical Pier vs Concrete Pier #13  
ocaj11 said:
So far, I haven't been able to find anyone that has the capability to drill belled piers. I also think that would be a good way to go. I'll keep looking to find someone that can give me an estimate.

The helical piers would stop the up/down movement, but I'm not sure how well they would hold up to the sideways movements.

If anyone has a pier and beam that has the girders attached directly to the helical piers, I would like to hear your opinions. Also, if anyone knows a contractor in the Northeast Texas/Southwest Arkansas area that can drill belled piers, I would like to have their information.

Thanks for the replies!!!

All the pier drilling companies have the capability for belling their piers. Most of them I've seen in action work with two rigs, one drilling the pier and the second belling the hole afterwards.

The way a bell tool works is down pressure forces out wings. The wings feed the waste into the cavity that is the bell tool. The bell tool fills up and is pulled to the surface to be emptied. The process is repeated until the bell tool comes up empty.

A good source for information is the boys in Farmersville Texas at Wylie Drilling. They have some pretty awesome equipment and a ton of experience.

(and they have a cool gate, real nice gate)