Where is my frostline

/ Where is my frostline #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
Hey group. Does anyone know how I can figure out or where I can look up approximately how deep my frostline is? I need to dig a trench for some waterlines to run to a remote hose spicket, and from what I'm reading, I need to put it at least 6" below my frostline. I'm in south eastern PA. Any ideas?

Thank you

/ Where is my frostline #2  
RayCo

Call your twp building dept.

My well lines at my old house in linfield were only a little over 3' down.

If you use poly pipe that can freeze with out damage hydrant and fittings will be damaged if frozen.

tom

/ Where is my frostline #3  
Check with your county water dept. see how deep they require lines to be burried. Here it's 5 ft.

/ Where is my frostline #4  
i live in northwest pa and i just had water lines installed today and they went 3 feet deep.i was asking the workers how deep they found frost last winter,they said the deepest was no more than 2 feet.just to be safe you should go no less than 3 feet.

/ Where is my frostline #5  
Rayco,
I live in Mid Michigan and my frost line is 42 inches. You need to contact a reliable source for your frost line in your area because if you make a mistake and run water lines above the frost line you could have a serious and costly problem. Contact your local building dept just to be safe.

/ Where is my frostline
Thank you all for the feedback. I'll be finding some reliable sources to contact before running anything.

/ Where is my frostline #7  
Also consider the placement of the buried line. If there is traffic over it the frost may go deeper. :D

/ Where is my frostline #8  
It be more expensive, but check and see if you can bury ridgid styrofoam insulation, comes in sheets, cut in 24 inch strips, on the pipe before you backfull to keep frost from penetrating. We had a septic tank line with negative pitch and shallow, it was 50 feet long. I had to thaw line two winters ago with jetter. We dug it up and covered it with ridgid insulation, frost went six feet this past winter, it didn't freeze, but had thirty others that did. A mobile home park covered all the lines in their subdivision with insulation, especially in the roads. Frost is worse in low or no snow years, the air molecules in snow insulate the grouind. plowking

/ Where is my frostline #9  
Ray-Are you going to be using this tap during the frost season or will it be summer use only? There are some plastic lines in use around here by people who get their water from the lakes that arn't bothered by freezing. (They heat trace them if they need water during winter but some power outages can go on for days.) Mostly it is the section where the pipe comes out of the ground (in a barn for instance) that gives problems.
If you are at all in doubt, and the water is critical pull a run of heat tracing, or at least some eavestrough snow melt cable in with the pipe then insulate on top....

/ Where is my frostline #10  
A little off topic but a cheap trick I always liked was to backfill half the trench depth and then run “caution” tape before completely filling. If a backhoe digs in the future the tape will come up first to warn of the utilities below.

MarkV