Questions on 48x24 Garage/Tractor Shed

/ Questions on 48x24 Garage/Tractor Shed #1  

volunteer

Bronze Member
Tractor
1991 Ford New Holland 3930
In the process of building our home I am preparing to have built a 48 x 24 garage/tractor shed utilizing pole barn construction. As the building is being built on a sloping hill, a bull dozer has carved a pad for this to rest upon.

The back of this pad is approximately 4 feet high from original ground level. Plan is to pour monolithic slab. Any pointers, comments during this initial phase that I should be on the look out for? Here in Tennessee, the winters have been generally mild but sometimes can get as low as 10 degrees.

Attachments

• pad area.jpg
    pad area.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 4foot.jpg
    4foot.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 239
   / Questions on 48x24 Garage/Tractor Shed #2  
I think you are going to need more of a slope on the sides, especially with the 4 foot drop. Erosion will be a problem. Also too steep to mow. Could build a retaining wall but usually cheaper to add more dirt, if the dozer is still available. Takes a lot of dirt to make a nice slope but you will like it much better in the long term. Also make sure the dirt is well compacted. That much fill will sink significantly if not compacted. Don't want to pour cement and then have it crack/sink later. On my shed I had 2-2.5' of fill on one end. I let it sit for a while before I built with a few rains on the dirt. The shed was then erected and the cement poured about 1 year later. I still had about 4" of more dirt to add on that end due to compaction over time.
I put thick sheet of plastic on the ground prior to pouring cement. Stops moisture from coming through cement.
Are you going to build the shed, then put in the cement or other way around?

/ Questions on 48x24 Garage/Tractor Shed
Behind the 4' high pad in the rear of the pad is a 12 to 15' wide path. This is at the rear boundary of my property. I originally wanted this open in order to cut with tractor or mower but am now thinking about extending a shed roof to cover tractor and implements.This would enable me to 3 bays for all vehicles with a 12 x 24 workshop.

As to 4' high pad at rear I was thinking about 4" to 6" rock or grass on slope. Dozer still here. Dozer operator said he was going to put out sprinkler if rain was not forthcoming. Its been extremely dry here in Tennessee this summer. Initially I had a high end metal building company come and give me an estimate. They recommended a gravel pad. They also wanted $50K. I was thinking about having built soon. Would I be better off having pole barn type garage built on gravel bed first, wait a year, and then put in concrete slab?

Thanks for any advice, tips.