Concrete ICF home continues

/ Concrete ICF home continues #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
Been out on the site a bunch lately and not much time for posting. We have the footers poured and have started stacking the ICF blocks. We needed to step the footers due to the slope. I also built a Re-bar bender that will get a work out as the walls are stacked

Due to height/weight of this 3 story concrete home, we poured 9+" deep by 32" wide footers.

Patrick

Attachments

• Footer hillside.JPG
    Footer hillside.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,336
  • Footers lake view.JPG
    Footers lake view.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 1,113
  • Bent.JPG
    Bent.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,015
  • step footer.JPG
    step footer.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,155
   / Concrete ICF home continues #2  
Paddy

That is going to have one heck of a nice view when your all done. I have not seen any actual ICF posts so am looking forward to more pics as you progress.

/ Concrete ICF home continues
EdC,

Here are some views of stacking the blocks. The first cource is critical. Unlike concrete blocks, there is not mortar to keep things level. It all has to be done on the fist level. The step footers add more complexity. We tried to make the steps in 16" (or less) incriments. The blocks cut with any type of saw. The first level, basement, is 12' tall. The ceiling will be 10.5 due to the hanging metal joists.

Attachments

• First row and cutting steel.jpg
    First row and cutting steel.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,067
  • well planned steps 16 in.jpg
    well planned steps 16 in.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 930
  • First row stepping.jpg
    First row stepping.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 846
  • First row of blocks.JPG
    First row of blocks.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,014
   / Concrete ICF home continues #4  
Paddy, we have been living in our ICF house (Polysteel) for 12 years now and really love it. It's very quiet and heat/cooling averages $30/month.
During hurricane Isabel we barely heard it. My wife says we missed it and sounded disappointed.
I like your wide footing.
Good luck.

Bobrip,

It's all we hear, ICF owners love the confort and sound proofing. Some times the lake can be it bit loud, so ICFs should help. We will also have concrete floors.

Were you involved in the pour?

Patrick T.

The walls start to go up. We had delays due the step footers and 6' of stone removal. We had fill stone placed but I had an excuse to use the tractor to level it before it was blocked off by walls. As the ICF blocks are stacked 5/8" re-bar is placed in each 16" cource. This does take time but it makes the un-poured wall kore ridig. My son Dylan is helping and is proving himself to be a hard worker. I remember when I was his age working in construction.....The walls have come to a point where the windows are appearing:)
Finally were truely out of the ground. We should be at top level soon, 12' walls.

The big day of the "pour" is coming in the next few days. I'm a bit nervous, with 100 cubic yards of concrete to be poured in one day.

Attachments

• Progress on blocks.JPG
    Progress on blocks.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 898
  • Nearly out of the ground.JPG
    Nearly out of the ground.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 846
  • Son Dylan helping.JPG
    Son Dylan helping.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 819
  • ten foot level.JPG
    ten foot level.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,042
   / Concrete ICF home continues #7  
Paddy said:
Bobrip,

It's all we hear, ICF owners love the confort and sound proofing. Some times the lake can be it bit loud, so ICFs should help. We will also have concrete floors.

Were you involved in the pour?

Patrick T.

I was there during part of the pour. I just watched. I did most of the wiring.
I can ask my builder any questions that you might have. He is the local rep for the ICFs in the area.

/ Concrete ICF home continues #8  
Paddy
One hundred cubic yards? Wow, so to me that means you do the entire three story pour in one continuous period. Well you would not have to worry about different cure rates in the concrete but what an effort (like you do not already know that):D

/ Concrete ICF home continues #9  
EdC said:
Paddy
One hundred cubic yards? Wow, so to me that means you do the entire three story pour in one continuous period. Well you would not have to worry about different cure rates in the concrete but what an effort (like you do not already know that):D

We did a total of 168 cubic yards (if my memory is correct). We did two pours. Also we poured a level of about 3 feet and by the time we got back to where we started the concrete was stiff enough not to blow out and ready for the next level. Don't have too steep a slope in the concrete during the pour. Fill on both sides of any obstructions so the presure is the same or close to the same on both sides. We also put boards (2 X4) against the foam and tapped the boards with a hammer to make the concrete settle and eliminate air pockets in the concrete. We did have a blow out or two and we kept plywoood around and screwed it to the area of the blow out. We also had a few air pockets against the window frames and we later foamed this in with styrofoam in a can.

EdC,

The 100 yards is for the basement. 325' of wall, 12 feet tall (except for the steps and 0.666' wide (8") =2600 cubic feet/27 cu-ft per yard=96 yards.

BobRip,

Vibration is always a debate. I keeping here using a mechanical vibrator is abvised. But when I have inquired from the ICF block rep and another installer, they have used a Saw-all with out the blade the hammer away from the outside. Personally, I would like to see the pour vibrated but can't see a practical method of getting a 12' 'snake' down to the bottom. I will inquire today about renting.

More photos as we progress

Patrick T.