Old Barn to shop conversion

/ Old Barn to shop conversion #1  

cny

Tractor
Kubota, B7800 HST
I am in the process of building an attached garage and a small addition to my house and I will be tearing down an old garage/shop (grey) behind the house and converting the lower portion of my barn (red) into a shop.

I am told that the new attached garage will be used for cars and motorcycles only!

The old grey garage is not only an eyesore, but is directly between my deck/patio and a 1/2 acre pond I dug a few years ago ...so it has to go.

The front section of the exisitng barn is 16' deep x 40' wide. 1/2 concrete and 1/2 dirt floor. It sits on a 8" block wall.

I would like to increase the depth to make it more usable ...probably 26-32' deep

I think I will use a mono truss spaced every 6-7 feet with a metal roof.

Not sure what I should do with the existing foundation/floor and walls. I have to at least remove the front wall, extend the side block walls and pour the 2nd half of the concrete floor.

I was thinking the easiset thing may be to remove everything - walls, roof, foundation, windows, doors, & concrete floor and rebuilding it as a pole barn wihout a foundation.

I would have to set my posts at approximately 48" deep to get below the frost line - alot easier than building a poured footing and laying eight+/- rows of block as I did for the addition.

What do you folks think? traditional stick built or pole barn style?

Attachments

• 5  15 06 133b.JPG
    5 15 06 133b.JPG
    588.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • FT 0992.jpg
    FT 0992.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 939
   / Old Barn to shop conversion
The old grey garage is currently blocking this view

...so it has to go

Attachments

• 9_9_04 118a.JPG
    9_9_04 118a.JPG
    564.8 KB · Views: 797
  • 9_9_04 0620.jpg
    9_9_04 0620.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 675
   / Old Barn to shop conversion #3  
pole barn style

alows you to keep inital cost down while figure out what sections of it you want to "shop-itize" later.

8' OC mono trusses (mono sissors) would be easy. require ~3-4' of depth for 32' or so span with NY loading....

/ Old Barn to shop conversion #4  
It just breaks my heart to see an old barn go down.

Is there any way on earth you could restore it. If you took a serious look at the numbers, it may work out best for you (and the building).

I will post pics of my current project: The total restoration of a large 1906 barn-one of the few of its kind in Oklahoma.

/ Old Barn to shop conversion #5  
Not much of what you asked for, but I have a CST laser just like that one, also I don't like the view of the dogs butt before the pond either LOL.
I think I would do a pole barn just for the ease of construction, but it looks from the pics like you can do the other just as well. Have fun!

/ Old Barn to shop conversion #6  
Bill Barrett said:
also I don't like the view of the dogs butt before the pond either LOL.

ROTFLMAO, that's bloody hilarious.

/ Old Barn to shop conversion
KaiB said:
It just breaks my heart to see an old barn go down.

Is there any way on earth you could restore it. If you took a serious look at the numbers, it may work out best for you (and the building).

I will post pics of my current project: The total restoration of a large 1906 barn-one of the few of its kind in Oklahoma.

The Barn is not going down - I am just going to rebuild the front section. The barn was built in 1888 and I am restoring it. It is in overall good condition. The main barn is 40 X 120 deep. The front section (milkhouse) was built in the 60's +/- but is only 16' deep. It is not deep enough to park my tractor or truck. I just want to make it deeper ...28-32'.

The grey building is a P.O.S. It was built in the early 70's - it has to go.

/ Old Barn to shop conversion #8  
schmism knows what he's talking about, so I'd follow his advice.

I am curious why you're not using preasure treated wood for your sill plates in the new construction?

Eddie

/ Old Barn to shop conversion #9  
Glad to see the old barn is staying, it looks very cool! Old barns rock, and you can't destroy the darn things...

/ Old Barn to shop conversion #10  
cny - since you live in NY - I'm assuming you have looking into the NY State Grants for repairing and restoring historic barns... based on your posted date - you should easily qualify for money. God knows we pay enough here in President Hillary's state... :(