Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota, B7800 HST

Default Old Barn to shop conversion

I am in the process of building an attached garage and a small addition to my house and I will be tearing down an old garage/shop (grey) behind the house and converting the lower portion of my barn (red) into a shop.

I am told that the new attached garage will be used for cars and motorcycles only!

The old grey garage is not only an eyesore, but is directly between my deck/patio and a 1/2 acre pond I dug a few years ago ...so it has to go.

The front section of the exisitng barn is 16' deep x 40' wide. 1/2 concrete and 1/2 dirt floor. It sits on a 8" block wall.

I would like to increase the depth to make it more usable ...probably 26-32' deep

I think I will use a mono truss spaced every 6-7 feet with a metal roof.

Not sure what I should do with the existing foundation/floor and walls. I have to at least remove the front wall, extend the side block walls and pour the 2nd half of the concrete floor.

I was thinking the easiset thing may be to remove everything - walls, roof, foundation, windows, doors, & concrete floor and rebuilding it as a pole barn wihout a foundation.

I would have to set my posts at approximately 48" deep to get below the frost line - alot easier than building a poured footing and laying eight+/- rows of block as I did for the addition.

What do you folks think? traditional stick built or pole barn style?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Kubota, B7800 HST

Default Re: Old Barn to shop conversion

The old grey garage is currently blocking this view

...so it has to go
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

pole barn style

alows you to keep inital cost down while figure out what sections of it you want to "shop-itize" later.

8' OC mono trusses (mono sissors) would be easy. require ~3-4' of depth for 32' or so span with NY loading....
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Silver Member

It just breaks my heart to see an old barn go down.

Is there any way on earth you could restore it. If you took a serious look at the numbers, it may work out best for you (and the building).

I will post pics of my current project: The total restoration of a large 1906 barn-one of the few of its kind in Oklahoma.

Tractor
    Kubota L3130, Satoh G650, Case 580, Case 446

Not much of what you asked for, but I have a CST laser just like that one, also I don't like the view of the dogs butt before the pond either LOL.
    I think I would do a pole barn just for the ease of construction, but it looks from the pics like you can do the other just as well. Have fun!

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Barrett
    also I don't like the view of the dogs butt before the pond either LOL.
    ROTFLMAO, that's bloody hilarious.
    Kioti CK30HST, FEL w/toothbar, 60" RC, 60" BB, PJ 10k trailer. Weekend warrior hauling 50 miles each way.

Tractor
    Kubota, B7800 HST

Quote Originally Posted by KaiB
    It just breaks my heart to see an old barn go down.

Is there any way on earth you could restore it. If you took a serious look at the numbers, it may work out best for you (and the building).

I will post pics of my current project: The total restoration of a large 1906 barn-one of the few of its kind in Oklahoma.
    The Barn is not going down - I am just going to rebuild the front section. The barn was built in 1888 and I am restoring it. It is in overall good condition. The main barn is 40 X 120 deep. The front section (milkhouse) was built in the 60's +/- but is only 16' deep. It is not deep enough to park my tractor or truck. I just want to make it deeper ...28-32'.

The grey building is a P.O.S. It was built in the early 70's - it has to go.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

schmism knows what he's talking about, so I'd follow his advice.

I am curious why you're not using preasure treated wood for your sill plates in the new construction?

Eddie

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD2305

Glad to see the old barn is staying, it looks very cool! Old barns rock, and you can't destroy the darn things...

Tractor
    NH TC45DA & Kubota BX24

cny - since you live in NY - I'm assuming you have looking into the NY State Grants for repairing and restoring historic barns... based on your posted date - you should easily qualify for money. God knows we pay enough here in President Hillary's state...
    For the latest in what's going on around the farm and homestead check out our podcast Chicken Thistle Farm Coopcast, our site Chicken Thistle Farm or join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast