Asphalt milling for Driveway

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #1  

UpstateNYMarine

Bronze Member
Tractor
2007 John Deere 2320
My fiance and I just built a house and now finishing out garage on 40 acres that we bough in upstate NY. We have a driveway that was used by tractors when the previous owner, on old farmer, used the land for farming. Since we are nearing the eld of construction we are looking to finish the driveway. It wil well compacted and has pretty good drainage. We are looking at either crusher run or asphalt millings. I'm looking for some honest opinions of using the millings for a driveway. We have about 1300' of drive and the excavator is going to make it about 4-6" think and use a vibratory roller on it. I have heard there are things to spray to keep the tar from sticking to shoes and tires (eventually being tracked into the new garage and house). Thanks in advance for the opinions.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #2  
I have no idea what the asphalt millings you can get are like, but I got some free a few years back and used them to top dress my drive. I had no problems with them to speak of. A few were tracked into the garage, but never so many it made a mess.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #3  
The asphalt that I have used or worked with seems to hold up real well. Unless you use a material that is permenately held together you will have a problem with the tracking in of dirt. One of the nice features of asphalt is that over time it can start to bind itself together. The last load that I had delivered, the driver recommended using diesel fuel to speed that process up.

As for crusher run it depends on what type of material it is. Do NOT use sandstone as it will break down and become sand (My FIL loved to use sandstone and at the end of the drive there is a nice layer of sand.).

I would use what ever is cheaper, provided both materials provide long term durability and gave me the finished look that I was looking for. My wife likes the look of limestone, so I have used sandstone, asphalt, and crushed concrete as a base. Limestone and Asphalt Grindings as a mid-layer and will use 3/4" to fine Limestone as a final topcoat after we get the house built. For my MIL I am working on getting a good layer of Limestone over the whole driveway as that is what I have access to where she lives.

Kurt

Kurt

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #4  
UpstateNYMarine

I am pretty happy with a test patch of asphalt regrind. All this material is is reground asphalt that is taken up by those street eating grinders then a recycling company cleans it up, grinds it again into littler chunks and sells it. It does sound like the same stuff as the asphalt millings you are speaking of. I put down 3/4 minus and it compacts pretty well just by running my tractor (JD2320) with a full bucket. We plan on doing the rest of of our 600 foot driveway in September.

We have not had any problem tracking in tar into the house.

My next experiment will be buy some of this: PolyPavement: Natural Soil Pavement - Liquid Soil Solidifier
and see if it works as well as they claim. Then if it does work I will do the entire drive with it.

And if the marine part of your web name has anything to do with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor I sure appreciate what you have done for our country.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #5  
This topic has been discussed some before on TBN and I mentioned then that my brother had the recycled asphalt put on his circle drive and spread with my Kubota. The folks he got it from said when hot weather arrived, he could spray it with diesel and either drive on it, or roll it, and you wouldn't be able to tell it from regular asphalt. He never put diesel on it, but it made a fine driveway anyway just from driving on it, and never had any problem with tracking it in the house.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #6  
Go with the asphalt mil lings if the price is right.:D :D

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #7  
Just used millings fro base in a 200' x 75' equipment shed. I have also used them for base in a open equipment lot. I have never had a tar problem. Usually be use crush and run but the millings were almost free when the town re-paved some roads. Millings are by far the better product in the long run.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #8  
Quite a few farms around me use asphalt millings and they all look rather nice to me. Most of them get it spread and then have it rolled on a very hot day. It's hard to tell it from new asphalt if you have a good base down.

Another thing I have seen around here is milled roofing shingles. They are cut into strips about 1/4 inch by 3 to 4 inch's. They actually seem to hold up rather well from what I have seen.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #9  
we use it too on a part of the driveway under the trees (where root damage to a permanent pavement, of the oak trees along the public road, is not unlikely)

Try to spread it on a cold day, it reduces the power consumption in half.
Pack it on a hot day, it gets very sticky.

In the autumn when the leafs fall, i can just drive the PTO street sweep over it to collect the leafs, it just takes up some small pebbles, leaving a very hard asphalt surface underneath, just like "real" asphalt.

When the surface is sweeped, traffic does create new loose gravel on top, so over time the street sweep wears out your milling driveway. But when just using the street sweep to collect leafs in autumn, and to pile the spilled stable muck during manure spreading season, you can just use the sweep every now and then.

/ Asphalt milling for Driveway #10  
I got 2 loads two years ago and they work out fine. I've had no problem with tar and here in Fl. it's real hot. Mine came from old road material so I'm sure the tar has settled or migrated out. I have it around my 48' X 50' shop. It has packed down very well and looks like regular black top.