Pasture Clearing/Stumps/Reclamation

/ Pasture Clearing/Stumps/Reclamation #1  

miltrade

Tractor
JD 4200
I have several acres of fenced pasture in Virginia. The original owner of my property didn't clear as much as he should have so the fencing in some areas runs through "wooded" areas. I have done some work to keep the pastures clear of underbrush and saplings, but there are simply too many large trees. Due to the competition for light, many of them are leaning toward the fencing etc. and I simply know I can't fell them myself without taking out fence.

Does anyone here have any experience with commercial clearing companies? Will they come in and clear in situations where they can't just take it all down with large machinery? They can get the vehicles in my pasture, but no way they can take all the trees down that way. And how much is reasonable to clear a pasture of 35-45 trees?

I have been trying to take down a tree every couple of weeks, but at this rate I won't be done for decades. Also, I am left with stumps, some very large. I usually drill some holes in them and put roundup concentrate in there. Works pretty good to kill them, but they don't disappear. I have tried building large fires on top of the stump with little success. I built one fire on top of a medium stump (that had weathered for two years) that burned white hot for days. After it cooled enough I went to check it out and the stump barely lost an inch or two from the top.

I have a JD 4200 tractor with many implements and attachments, but no backhoe and no stump grinder.

/ Pasture Clearing/Stumps/Reclamation #2  
There are a boatload of tree companies that will take the tree's from the top down so as to miss the fence. It'll cost you some money, though... I'm faced with the same thing - I fenced the yard around the house before I had all of the tree's cleared out (needed to keep the dogs in). I'll be looking for someone to safely cut down 15-20 pines. I don't mind cleaning up the mess (ie: moving the logs)...

Good luck finding someone at a reasonable price.

/ Pasture Clearing/Stumps/Reclamation #3  
It may be easiest to remove the fence, clear and grade the fence line for proper access and then replace the fence.:D

Do it proper once!:D

/ Pasture Clearing/Stumps/Reclamation #4  
Egon said:
It may be easiest to remove the fence, clear and grade the fence line for proper access and then replace the fence.:D

Do it proper once!:D

And much cheaper in my experience:eek:

/ Pasture Clearing/Stumps/Reclamation #5  
Diddo on what Egon said, you may be able to find a good dozer operator to push the trees, or keep cutting them down and rent a stump grinder, they will eat the heck out of a low low cut stump to several inches below grade.

/ Pasture Clearing/Stumps/Reclamation #6  
I think you have a combination of problems happening. Loggers, at least here, would not bother with a job that small so you end up looking at a tree service. Better be sitting when they quote a price. With either you are still left with the stump.

A full size excavator with thumb and a good operator might be the best choice. They can often remove the tree and stump as a whole while swinging it around for clean up.

MarkV

/ Pasture Clearing/Stumps/Reclamation #7  
If you had about 100 trees you probably wouldn't cost yourself any more...Anyone that will come in to take down 35 trees is gonna have to charge a bunch to get even for moving, etc. Is the fence on your property??Is is keeping in/out cattle/livestock? If its on your prop. and no livestock is involved, I'd take the fence down, cut the trees/clean up and put up the fence again. Fences are a bunch cheeper than heavy equipment. BobG in VA

/ Pasture Clearing/Stumps/Reclamation #8  
How big are your trees, ie. how tall and what types of trees?

I clear miles of fence lines annually but our trees are usually 30ft. and smaller and easier to handle with tree shears and/or ropes and saws.

How wide of a fence line do you want? Depending on the size and specie of tree, I may be able to offer some advice that won't break the bank.

/ Pasture Clearing/Stumps/Reclamation #9  
Since you are willing to remove the trees and brush, that should save you a lot.