My pole barn...a solo affair

/ My pole barn...a solo affair #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I started building a 30 X 44 pole barn a year ago June. I built it myself, except for roofing it. I had injured my arm and needed surgery. So the day before surgery I scheduled a barn roof raising. All my friends came over and put the metal on the roof. Here are a few photos of it. I did have a friend help me set about 4 poles and my son ran the lift I rented when I set the roof trusses in position. Other than those times..........I did all the design and building myself. Well, the designing was Aggie engineering. I need to put the sides on, pour concrete in the center section, and run wiring for electricity. Oh, I did purchase the roof trusses built to my dimensions. When finished it will have two horse stalls, a shed for my gooseneck, and enough room for my tractor, tack, feed, and a workshop area for air comprssor and welder.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• Brandi & Booger taking a break.JPG
    Brandi & Booger taking a break.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 6,768
  • 03-04-07 Barn Roof Raising.jpg
    03-04-07 Barn Roof Raising.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 6,153
  • 4-21-07 barn drive all clear.jpg
    4-21-07 barn drive all clear.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 6,121
   / My pole barn...a solo affair #2  
Very nice Brandi. I commend you for having the moxy to take on a project like that by yourself.

/ My pole barn...a solo affair #3  
Brandi,

Nice looking barn!!! It looks like the roofline has some interesting design to it. Any better pics that show what it looks like?

What are you going to use for siding? Metal is easy and inexpensive, but might not be the look you're after. Wood is the easiest to work with, but the most labor intesive to maintain. Hardi is dificult to install on your own, but it looks very good and lasts forever with almost no maintenance.

Keep us posted, everyone loves a barn project!!!!!!!

Eddie

/ My pole barn...a solo affair #4  
bindian said:
I did have a friend help me set about 4 poles and my son ran the lift I rented when I set the roof trusses in position. Other than those times..........I did all the design and building myself.

Wow! Brandi, I hope the post hole digging wasn't all done with that manual PHD in the first picture. Whew! I guess if it's all sand, that wouldn't be horrible, but I'm really partial to my auger.

Nice job. I particularly like your roof line and vent at the top. I'd sure like to see some inside pictures of the roof trusses if you get a chance. That's gonna be one swell barn. :)

/ My pole barn...a solo affair
EddieWalker said:
Brandi,

Nice looking barn!!! It looks like the roofline has some interesting design to it. Any better pics that show what it looks like?

What are you going to use for siding? Metal is easy and inexpensive, but might not be the look you're after. Wood is the easiest to work with, but the most labor intesive to maintain. Hardi is dificult to install on your own, but it looks very good and lasts forever with almost no maintenance.

Keep us posted, everyone loves a barn project!!!!!!!

Eddie
Eddie,
Below are some photos I just ran out and took. Basically, the barn has a continous 1 foot vent on each side of the ridge, with two feet overlap of the upper metal over the lower metal. The shed roof on each side is 3/1 pitch and the center roof (on the truss) is 4/1 pitch.
The roof is 20 year dove grey color. The siding is 30 year red metal and the trim will be in white. My sliding doors will be red and white in a Purina checkboard pattern.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 8-21-07 Barn roof profile.jpg
    8-21-07 Barn roof profile.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 4,304
  • 8-21-07 Barn Roof Vent.jpg
    8-21-07 Barn Roof Vent.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 3,308
  • 8-21-07 Barn Roof from Deck.jpg
    8-21-07 Barn Roof from Deck.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 3,539
   / My pole barn...a solo affair #6  
Brandi,

Thanks for the pictures. I've never seen a roofline like yours and I REALLY like it!!!! Did you design it, or is it something you've seen before?

What really strikes me about it is how similar it is to the design of two gazebos I'm going to build in the next month or so. No venting, but the two roofline is what I'm going to do, plus a few other extras. hahaha

You lost me with the checkerboard doors, but with how nice it is so far, I'm excited to see how it all comes together.

Please keep us posted of your progress.

Eddie

EddieWalker said:
Brandi,

Thanks for the pictures. I've never seen a roofline like yours and I REALLY like it!!!! Did you design it, or is it something you've seen before?

What really strikes me about it is how similar it is to the design of two gazebos I'm going to build in the next month or so. No venting, but the two roofline is what I'm going to do, plus a few other extras. hahaha

You lost me with the checkerboard doors, but with how nice it is so far, I'm excited to see how it all comes together.

Please keep us posted of your progress.

Eddie
Eddie,
Here is a photo of the barn I am modeling mine after. I told the salesman at American Pole & Timber what I wanted. He called an engineer and came up with this drawing I attached below. As for the checkerboard, it is Purina Feeds corporate logo. Think of a checker playing board that is black and white. Then change the black to red. The sliding door is 12 foot square and will be white with 3 X 3 foot red squares added. I always thought about one being on the roof also, for planes to see as a landmark.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• Red RCA Barn.jpg
    Red RCA Barn.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 4,111
  • Eric truss.jpg
    Eric truss.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 3,971
bindian said:
Eddie,
Here is a photo of the barn I am modeling mine after. I told the salesman at American Pole & Timber what I wanted. He called an engineer and came up with this drawing I attached below. As for the checkerboard, it is Purina Feeds corporate logo. Think of a checker playing board that is black and white. Then change the black to red. The sliding door is 12 foot square and will be white with 3 X 3 foot red squares added. I always thought about one being on the roof also, for planes to see as a landmark.
hugs, Brandi
..............but my barn will not have eaves like the one in the photo. ;)
hugs, Brandi

/ My pole barn...a solo affair #9  
Hi Brandi,
What a great project. That is one fine looking barn you got going. Especially awesome you did the design yourself. I really like that 3rd photo of the first set you shared. You have a very nice place all surrounded by the woods like that.
About how much longer before you finish it up then?

jinman said:
Wow! Brandi, I hope the post hole digging wasn't all done with that manual PHD in the first picture. Whew! I guess if it's all sand, that wouldn't be horrible, but I'm really partial to my auger.

Nice job. I particularly like your roof line and vent at the top. I'd sure like to see some inside pictures of the roof trusses if you get a chance. That's gonna be one swell barn. :)

Jim,
Thanks. The barn is on solid clay. I rented a 3PH post hole digger to dig the holes. It had a dull auger tip and would just glaze the clay, since I had water in the holes to help out. I didn't like the way the 3PH PHD angles into the hole as it gets deep. That rented PHD is the main reason I got a Danuser Hydrulic PHD that I modified to fit on my new backhoe. Now I can plant two or three holes without moving the tractor. The tractor in the photo is my Ford 3055. I had the rented PHD on it. I used the 3055 and a boom pole to set all the poles in their holes. The dog in the photo is Booger. He goes anywhere I am playing in the dirt. I ended up finishing the 20 odd holes with the manual PHD in the previous photo. Here also is a photo of my new Mahindra putting a roll of left over roof insulation in the rafters. I will take more barn inside photos in a day or two.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• Tractor on culvert & Booger.JPG
    Tractor on culvert & Booger.JPG
    629.9 KB · Views: 3,947
  • 4-21-07 storing insulation in the barn rafters.jpg
    4-21-07 storing insulation in the barn rafters.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 3,167