36x48 Garage/Shop

/ 36x48 Garage/Shop #1  

GaryInWA

Tractor
JCB 1400B backhoe, Kubota B21
I was tired of working in the mud and rain so after waiting 4 months for the county to approve my building permit I finally cleared some of my land to build a 36x48 garage/shop. I used the backhoe to push over all of the trees and carry the stumps,limbs,etc to a burn pile. I saved alot of $$ by doing the clearing myself plus it was soo much fun.
I live in an area of Washington state where the glaciers left behind some very large boulders, I encountered a few while clearing that I had to remove that easily outweighed my backhoe but I was able to move them by shear force.

I posted a bunch of pictures of the excavation, building construction and concrete pour at:

luvmud85 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My backhoe was a very important tool during the whole process, it was even helpful during the concrete pour as the concrete truck was too tall to enter the building so we had to shuttle the concrete from the truck to the building via the backhoe's loader bucket.

The building is now almost done and I will soon be able to start moving everything into it and customize it to meet my needs. My first project will be 110/220 power then wire up all the lights,outlets,etc in the building, next will be building work benches, shelving and storage. I am super excited and know this will be a great addition to my property.

Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3899.JPG
    DSCN3899.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,522
  • DSCN3748.JPG
    DSCN3748.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 843
   / 36x48 Garage/Shop #2  
I'll bet you are excited, I would be too. You weren't kidding about a lot of pictures in your photo album either! It sure looks great now. And I see what you mean about those giant boulders too. What are you doing with them? Will you bury them or are you going to use them for decoration? They would be awesome to have around the building or somewhere else. It would be big bucks to buy them like that.

/ 36x48 Garage/Shop
Hello 3RRL,

I buried a few of the larger boulders and used a bunch as a rock wall along my driveway, I plan to place a bunch of smaller rocks around the base of the building in the rear and along the sides....there is no shortage of boulders on my property I sure wish I could sell them at a buck per pound.....I'd be rich ;)

I have stacked a few on top of each other like a snowman, my neighbors like them and ask how they are held together...gravity is the only thing keeping them stacked...my backhoe's thumb came in handy when moving them into position.

The croncrete was poured on 8/20 so I have to give it some time before I can drive the backhoe on it...it came out real nice....I cant believe 2 guys were able to spread 20+ yards of concrete and get such a smooth finish on it...it did take them about 12 hours from start to finish.

Gary

/ 36x48 Garage/Shop #4  
Lotsa hard work. Excellent result. Congrats on a fine job.

/ 36x48 Garage/Shop #5  
GaryInWA said:
Hello 3RRL,

I buried a few of the larger boulders and used a bunch as a rock wall along my driveway, I plan to place a bunch of smaller rocks around the base of the building in the rear and along the sides....there is no shortage of boulders on my property I sure wish I could sell them at a buck per pound.....I'd be rich ;)

I have stacked a few on top of each other like a snowman, my neighbors like them and ask how they are held together...gravity is the only thing keeping them stacked...my backhoe's thumb came in handy when moving them into position.

The croncrete was poured on 8/20 so I have to give it some time before I can drive the backhoe on it...it came out real nice....I cant believe 2 guys were able to spread 20+ yards of concrete and get such a smooth finish on it...it did take them about 12 hours from start to finish.

Gary

Three guys did the 24x42 ft slab 6" thick for my garage/shop. Got a terrific smooth finish. The pour started about 7am and the final surfacing was complete by about 1pm. We did the work in mid-June 05. Hot and strong wind. I spent the next 8 hours wetting down the slab with a garden hose to control the curing.

Attachments

• DSCF0053 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0053 (Small).JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,078
   / 36x48 Garage/Shop #6  
That is a very nice looking workshop, nice use of color back in the woods. You probably can sell those boulders to landscaping companies. I know the places around here (VA) charge an arm and a leg for them becuase they don't normally exist here. Keep updating the progress, it looks great!