Project Granite steps

/ Project Granite steps #1  

Egon

Epic Contributor
The owner of a local cottage has asked me to install some steps from the lake shore to the cottage front yard. [ He may not be a wise man:D :D :D ]

This involved smoothing the face of the bank, hauling rocks, splitting rocks and then placing rocks.:D Some of the steps have been placed. The next ones get harder as my little tractor loader reach is limited.

The steps should see a rock facing on either side when the project is finished.

Attachments

• steps.JPG
    steps.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 372
  • Olympus pictures 095.jpg
    Olympus pictures 095.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 338
   / Project Granite steps #2  
Egon, I can sure see why some steps are needed, but that appears to be some very unstable soil. Is that the case? And how are you going to prevent the granite steps from sinking, shifting, or sliding down the hill?

/ Project Granite steps #3  
Egon,
Looks like you are staying busy in your old age. Don't strain yourself too much. About what size, how big are they?
Did you shape those granite rocks yourself like that? That's some nice work.

/ Project Granite steps
The granite was split by myself. I can just about lift the rocks but that don't mean much as I'm not very strong.

Bird: The bank they rest against is granular material ranging from sand to larger boulders. The hillside on either side of the steps will be clad with rock.:D :D :D

Picture of before.

Attachments

• step location.JPG
    step location.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 226
   / Project Granite steps #5  
Egon said:
The granite was split by myself. I can just about lift the rocks but that don't mean much as I'm not very strong.

Bird: The bank they rest against is granular material ranging from sand to larger boulders. The hillside on either side of the steps will be clad with rock.:D :D :D

Picture of before.

This may sound dumb, but how exactly does one go about splitting granite?

/ Project Granite steps
Splitting granite by a novice:

Drill a series of holes using a hammer drill.

Insert feathers and wedges.

Tap on each wedge in turn till the hammer note goes from sharp to dull when the stone splits.:D

Attachments

• rock 1.JPG
    rock 1.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 234