removing furrows

/ removing furrows #1  

bendrewjr

Tractor
L235DT Kubota
I purched 7 arces in S. Delaware. Most of it was for corn / soy beans. Im not a farmer, just got a good deal(great deal) Any correct way to remove the yrs. of forrows I have a 20 hp kubota 235 dt. another good deal. I have a tiller, does not seam to do what I would like it to do. I would like it flat as a yard . LOL May plant winter wheat orchard grass ect. But for now cutting W/ a grasshopper mower , till I fik the delapated bush hog & finish mower. It stands 4'tall & looks un kept gotta keep the queen happy LOL Looked @ that TR3 rake any in put on this. A little pricie I thought .Would try to rig one or fabricate one (gorilla welding ugly but strong, grinder makes my work look good, but it is gettin better) Any and all input & help will be accepted and apprecated. Another ? what do you bthink about these driveway gradders they sell would a I beam 14" x6'work . I know we use to level m/c tracts this way) Enough this took longer to type than I thought. Thank You All God bless yall, in all your ventures Andrew

Last edited:
   / removing furrows #2  
Time to buy a disc and a good dust mask and get to it!

Soundguy

/ removing furrows #4  
Right, a disc harrow would be easiest/quickest, but that is another purchase.

The tiller could/should work EVENTUALLY if you keep at it and stay on the crests, staying ONLY on the crests. Your choice, buy stuff or spend more time playing with what you already have. Maybe its budget driven, whichever you have more of, time or money (-:

/ removing furrows #5  
Use your rototiller and work across the dead furrows. Till as deep as possible and you can drag a little dirt with the rototiller. Then use that lovely "I" beam you have. It will make just a terrific drag for levelling everything out. Put a horizontal skid on each end to keep it vertical. Make your pulling attachments so you can angle or have the beam straight. Then start running over the field at different directions/angles and soon you will end up with a billiard table. You could even drag before tilling to knock down any real rough stuff and the grass.:D :D

The more you repeat the rotatilling/dragging procedure the smoother your field will get.:D :D

There's be many a person would almost kill for a nice "I" beam like that.:D

Forget the disc. You have everything you need now.:D :D :D

/ removing furrows #6  
Just remember, you are probably going to end up removing the top soil from the high spots and moving it to the valleys. I have a pasture that we broke up w/ a disc several years ago and have just now started to see some of the old high spots start growing vegetation again. Our fertilizer bills reflect this as well.

/ removing furrows #7  
If you till across the furrows won't the whole machine rise and fall which will leave the finished surface still furrowed? I would run along the the furrows tilling as deeply as the machine will allow. Round and round you go until its pretty.

I've got an I-beam like that with the dual chain setup to allow angled dragging. Use that after the tilling to try and even out the surface. If you have enough tractor maybe you could drag the harrow behind the tiller.

/ removing furrows #8  
Delaware soil is not tough stuff. We have had a drought this year, but the soil is sandy enough it shouldn't be concrete hardened, just gonna be real dusty.

Get a Subsoiler (Cheap enough to purchase one) and rip down the center of the mounds, wheels in the furrows, stradding the hill. Then, rip across them at a 90 degree angle, every 3 or 4 feet apart.

Then switch to your I-beam, and go at them diagonally both ways.
That sandy soil should rip down, grade out, and fill the voids pretty nicely when pulling that I-beam.

For those who aren't aware, Southern Del. is only about 20 feet above sea level, in the high spots.

The Tiller should do a fantastic job, but can't tell from the description what kind of problem exists, mechanical or procedural.

/ removing furrows #9  
Use a turning plow to remove the furrows. Turn all the land, disk, drag, sow, drag. Drink a cold one.

Chris