Best way to smooth out pasture

/ Best way to smooth out pasture #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
I have numerous acres of open pasture that produce hay. There are however certain areas where the fields are really rough. What is the best way to smooth it out.
If I use my box scraper or disc I imagine I will get a bunch of big clumps and then have to deal with them some how.

I have seen things like a harley rake and similar products. Any ideas on this project?

/ Best way to smooth out pasture #2  
If it's already established I can't really think of a way to do it without harming the grass. Unless you put some horses on it maybe. Their feet will do it over time. Then you will have to deal with compaction problems though.

If it's something like bermuda that comes back real easy you could disc it and pull a heavy pipe or a chain harrow or something behind it. The grass will come back if the weather is right and you fertilize it. I'd wait till spring though.

When I do my pastures here I always drag a couple heavy steel pipes behind whatever implement I'm using. My alfalfa field that I just did is so flat the water doesn't puddle anywhere.

/ Best way to smooth out pasture #3  
Slippy said:
I have numerous acres of open pasture that produce hay. There are however certain areas where the fields are really rough. What is the best way to smooth it out.
If I use my box scraper or disc I imagine I will get a bunch of big clumps and then have to deal with them some how.

I have seen things like a harley rake and similar products. Any ideas on this project?

Add any lime it may need, plow it, disc it, wait. Disc it again a week later, wait. Fertilizer it a week later, disc it again, seed it, cultipack it down tight --> enjoy. Will probably want to plant some fast growing plants to help smother out the weed competition and keep it cut to knock down the annuals.

jb

/ Best way to smooth out pasture #5  
Sounds like a good job for a Harley rake. It can till, level, pack, de-rock etc in one pass depending how nasty it is...

/ Best way to smooth out pasture #6  
I use a 10' pasture roller to smooth mine out. It certainly isn't perfect but over time it will even flatten out tire ruts. Timing is everything...not wet enough to make ruts, but damp enough to flatten out. It doesn't hurt the grass either. Best thing is to try and stay out when it's wet (I wish I could, my manure spreader causes the most ruts).

/ Best way to smooth out pasture #7  
KennedyDiesel said:
Sounds like a good job for a Harley rake. It can till, level, pack, de-rock etc in one pass depending how nasty it is...

So, is it true that Harley rakes cost as much as a Harley-Davidson?

Sorry, couldn't resist!
jb

/ Best way to smooth out pasture #8  
john_bud said:
So, is it true that Harley rakes cost as much as a Harley-Davidson?

Sorry, couldn't resist!
jb

Yes, but the rake is worth the money!

/ Best way to smooth out pasture
Anyone heard of a TR3 made by absolute innovations? Found them on the web. No moving parts but they claim it will work better than the harley rake. Check it out at TR3™ Rake Tool Comparisons
I called and they are going to send me one of the videos.

/ Best way to smooth out pasture #10  
Renob said:
Yes, but the rake is worth the money!

And probably won't leak oil all over your driveway either!