Barn Siding

/ Barn Siding #1  

Rookie2320

Tractor
Deere 2320
I'm in the process of building a 14'x24' barn in Virginia. (My new JD 2320 needs a home.) I've built the frame and the roof is halfway up. However, I can't decide on what to do about siding. The barn is close to my house, so I need it to look nice (says the Mrs.). I'm considering going with either rough saw board & batten siding - I need to talk to some local lumber mills -- or going for nice milled cedar siding of some sort. I'm thinking the cedar would look nicer, but it ain't cheap. I've been quoted $1.25 per linear foot. I've got 1,000 sqft to cover, so that calculates out to over $2k.

How much does rough sawn cost. Any input would be appreciated.

Thansk.

/ Barn Siding #2  
Rookie2320 said:
I'm in the process of building a 14'x24' barn in Virginia. (My new JD 2320 needs a home.) I've built the frame and the roof is halfway up. However, I can't decide on what to do about siding. The barn is close to my house, so I need it to look nice (says the Mrs.). I'm considering going with either rough saw board & batten siding - I need to talk to some local lumber mills -- or going for nice milled cedar siding of some sort. I'm thinking the cedar would look nicer, but it ain't cheap. I've been quoted $1.25 per linear foot. I've got 1,000 sqft to cover, so that calculates out to over $2k.

How much does rough sawn cost. Any input would be appreciated.

Thansk.

I'm doing a 16x18 w/ 10' sidewalls with rough milled, air dried, shiplapped hemlock. If I remember right it was about $1200. Hemlock needs to be air dried or the knots will fall out. If you choose B&B make sure your battens are wide enough to help prevent warp and twist. What kind of cedar are you looking at, western red or eastern white? Cedar is expensive.

Regards,
Kevin

/ Barn Siding #3  
I priced sawmill cedar at $400 for 800 board feet bundled in random widths in middle Tennessee this week. Uniform 1x6x8' grade A boards were $5.00 a piece if that helps.

/ Barn Siding #4  
Real hard to beat James Hardi siding. It's a cement, fiberboard that's waterproof, bug proof, fire proof and wont mildew. It comes primed and ready for paint. Once painted, it holds paint for a very long time!!!!

I'm experimenting with diferent stains for it to try to make it look like wood. Right now, Minwax gel stain is my favorite, but it's pricey. I've seen it stained before and from a distance you can't tell it's not wood. Up close, you a have to pay attention, or be looking for it to realize it's not wood.

If you like the board and batton look, you can get full grained 8 in by 12ft lengths for around $8 each. Or you could buy a 4ft by 8ft sheet for $27. Then cut some lengths for battons and nail it up.

It nails up real easy with a roofing, coil nailer. I've done quite a bit of it and really like it.

Eddie

/ Barn Siding #5  
Eddie, Do you have any pic's of the stained Hardi siding? I have to paint my house but after you mentioned stain I think I would like the stain look better.

/ Barn Siding #6  
EddieWalker said:
Real hard to beat James Hardi siding. It's a cement, fiberboard that's waterproof, bug proof, fire proof and wont mildew. It comes primed and ready for paint. Once painted, it holds paint for a very long time!!!!

I'm experimenting with diferent stains for it to try to make it look like wood. Right now, Minwax gel stain is my favorite, but it's pricey. I've seen it stained before and from a distance you can't tell it's not wood. Up close, you a have to pay attention, or be looking for it to realize it's not wood.

If you like the board and batton look, you can get full grained 8 in by 12ft lengths for around $8 each. Or you could buy a 4ft by 8ft sheet for $27. Then cut some lengths for battons and nail it up.

It nails up real easy with a roofing, coil nailer. I've done quite a bit of it and really like it.

Eddie

I'm curious about this, I am considering enclosing a shed and was thinking about buy metal studs to use as the cross pieces(on the outside poles) and either attach wood or you have me thinking Hardi now - how would this work?

/ Barn Siding #7  
Here's a picture of some wood stains that I put on a piece of Hardi lap siding. This sample failed pretty bad, but shows what the it could look like if I had something better.

Right now, we're really liking the look of Minwax Gel. It's designed for metal doors and other non pourous materials. It dosn't mention Hardi materials, so we're experimenting with three differen colors, plus a Gel stain from Olympic.

I also have concrete stain by Quikrete and everything else from oil based paints mixed with thinner, to Walmart paint thined down.

The Hot tub gazebo that I'm building is also going to be where I run my trials. When we decide on what to try, we'll use it on this Gazebo and keep track of the results.

My ultimate goal is to be able to build some one bedroom cabins with the Hardi lap siding and stain it to make it look like wood. If I can find the right product, I'll have the ultimate cabins. no maintenance, no bugs, no fire and no rot.

Eddie

Attachments

• Hardi Board Sample Stains 002 (Small).jpg
    Hardi Board Sample Stains 002 (Small).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 699
   / Barn Siding #9  
Check craigslist materials section each morning. I've found some awsome deals.