What have you moved?

/ What have you moved? #1  

Smelt

I've looked at some neat pictures of building moving on the Internet. It's incredible what has been moved.

Recently, I finished moving a 10' x 10' shed on our farm. I jacked up the little bugger and slid a couple of 4" x 4"s underneath. Under this arrangement, I lashed together a travois type of drag and chained it to the drawbar. I went about 150' up a hill, in a pretty much straight line and then turned it and backed up around 25'. The move went off without a hitch..err..with a hitch...err, well, anyway it worked, and worked well.

I was wondering what other folks have moved with their own rigs. What have you moved, what kind of tractor and equipment, method, distance?

Just wonderin'.

Attachments

• 3400pullingshed.jpg
    3400pullingshed.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 630
   / What have you moved? #2  
I don't have a picture on the computer or a scanner but I moved a 22x26 garage about 500' with my 30 hp Massey.

We backed my equipment trailer roughly into the center of the garage and blocked up two 24' steel beams to the ceiling joists then jacked the garage up on the trailer for about 18". The tractors rear wheels were actually in the door of the garage as I was hauling it.

We poured a new slab on grade and added a 12" curb wall around the perimiter. When we set the garage down we took out the old 16x7 garage door and added a new 16x8 door so the tractor would fit in with the hoe on.

Went really well in spite of the sceptics.

/ What have you moved? #3  
A whole bunch of years ago, I moved a 5 bedroom house using my old 8N.

Piece by piece to the burn pile... :D

/ What have you moved? #4  
When we moved to our existing house, we moved a playhouse that I made for my doughter. It is 8x8 and roughly 12 feet high, it has storage underneath. I put a heck of alot of work in this thing, and I was not going to leave it. This was my pre-tractor days, so I built an a frame of the base, and I used some aircraft cable atached to the roof (on both sides). I set some heavy duty pipes in the ground and started tipping it over with a come along, once it got to the point of wanting to fall I used another comealong to control it's decent. On the back side the A frame I made helped keep leverage for the come along, this also helped tip it off the trailer. At our new house I reversed the process. All and all VERY smooth. It traveled about 5 miles no problem.
Dave

Attachments

• playhouse.jpg
    playhouse.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
   / What have you moved? #5  
You have to love LA. I get back and as I am driving into town there is a house with some of its roof missing sitting on the side of the highway....

From what I understand a guy was trying to do an unpermitted home move and did not think to measure up. Blammo. Right into the overpass...

He then abandons his idea on the side of the highway (a very busy section next to Universal Studios). In just a few days homeless and gangs decide to use the facilities...

September 2007: Vandals Tag House Left On Shoulder Of 101 Freeway - Photos - KNBC | Los Angeles

On a personal note, I am going to figure out a way to move this pole barn / carport around 40 feet. My neighbor who erects steel buildings wants to bring up his crane and just move it over. I am thinking of dragging it (in an engineered sort of fashion).

Anyway, have to set the footings first.

Carl

Attachments

• pre purchase inspection4.jpg
    pre purchase inspection4.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 400
   / What have you moved? #6  
Just this past weekend I mover two (2) buildings, Both 12X16X12tall. jacked it up with handyman Put 2 4"x6"x16 Foot long timbers under it slid 2, 8' long 4x4 post across the 4X6ers, bolted a spacer across the front. Then took 2, 25 foot tie down straps ( the 4" wide racheting type ones) wrapped them around the building to the pull point, to keep buildings from sliding off the skids and pulled. The hard part was turning and having to push backwards and lining them up with each other (not a very easy task). Took about 5 hours to get both of them to thier new home.

Skidded one about 600 feet, and the other about 100 feet, set them side by side. I needed to move them to make room for more pasture.

/ What have you moved? #7  
Many yrs ago as boys, me and my brothers built a cabin on skids, probably 12x20 or so, and then pulled it back into the woods with our small JD dozer.

Since I just built my pole barn, I have a nice 12x16 shed I'm thinking of pulling back into my woods so my boys can use it as their cabin. course that is once I get the rest of my junk out of it.

/ What have you moved? #8  
No pics but lets see.. I've moved a 10x20 aluminum covered metal conduit framed building with a jd 544e loader and a couple long tow straps.. have moved smaller wider buildings using 4x4 sleds.. and the ever popular and slow fence post roller thingy

Soundguy

/ What have you moved? #9  
14' x 21' garage 15 mile with old chevy pickup.

/ What have you moved? #10  
In the early 80's, I bought a 40' sealand container. Loaded it with a forklift onto a borrowed T/T flatbed. Backed it into the backyard and tried to slide it off. Finally got a wrecker to pull it off. 5 years later, I strip a burnt mobile home to the frame and cut it to 40', using the extra metal as cross bracing. Then I use a R/R jack to jack, block, jack,etc till I got it high enough. I used wood cable reels that I double reinforced sitting on each side at the front with a 10" I-beam on top of them to hold up one end and two more reels at the other end just slid under the end. I-beam was to allow clearence for the tires which was wider than the 8' container. I decided to pay a wrecker company $100 to pull it the 30 miles to Switzerland, Fl to it's new home. They made it about 30 feet when the tongue weight sheared the 2 5/16" coupler. I finally talked the guy into continueing, by wrapping his cable around the front and holding onto it that way. I was glad he wasn't going fast when it happened, since I had a 66 and a 79 Corvette in that box plus a zillion spare parts. I moved it again 20 years later the same way, and the next time it will probably go to the scrap yard, as the floor is rotten and the $275 box is worth a lot more since it is solid aluminum with two steel endcaps. (4,000 pounds of scrap). Plus it isn't worth the trouble to build another trailer and I don't plan on moving anytime soon.
David from jax