Building a Hobby Farm- from woods to eggs

/ Building a Hobby Farm- from woods to eggs #592  
Maybe we should tell Tony there is a TBN app, he can post to us from his tractor seat on his phone.

/ Building a Hobby Farm- from woods to eggs
Hey guys! Man, I'm overwhelmed to have you all remember my thread! I appreciate the friendship.

So, you're all wondering if there's a Hobby Farm yet? LOL. :) Well, the short of it is...NO. Unfortunately. As I may have posted, we moved into the house with an unfinished basement. My money and my time has been going into finishing it up. Got most of the way done, and then the slow economy hit my industry. I work directly for developers doing site planning for them. Well, banks aren't giving the money out to my clients, and thus...no work for me. I've been on a meager income for the last two years. A few months ago, finally made a decision that I've wanted to make for a loong time. I'm heading back to school! I start in January in the graduate program at Clemson for a Masters degree in teaching. At 41, I'm making a career change. It's scary, but feels really good at the same time. Added to all that, my boys are now six and the activity level has ratcheted up a bit. I've been a baseball coach already, and now am starting up Cub Scouts.

So, as far as "farm work" goes, I use the tractor every other week for mowing and still do some bush hogging for some neighbors. Last year, I had three different folks and about 12 acres total that I was cutting a few times a year. I am using the tiller this week to seed a few parts of the property that never took with fescue. And we're going to use the PHD to plant a few trees and put posts in the woods to start up a "fort" for my boys. We haven't done our garden in a few years. Haven't had chickens in a few years either. Although, my wife said she misses them and is ready to get more in the Spring. I sold that chicken tractor I built. I'll have to build something new over the winter. Several things I wouldn't do the same.

The tractor hasn't had any issues. Needs a new battery. I jump it with the truck every time right now. I don't think I've put 250 hours since we bought it. But that's fine....it ain't going nowhere. :D

So who knows, maybe this old thread will dust off some cobwebs and become active again. :) At the least, I assure you I won't forget about it, and will not let years go by again. Hopefully, some periodic updates through the winter and into next spring.

/ Building a Hobby Farm- from woods to eggs #594  
Good hearing from you and nice to hear of your plans for your Masters. That's both impressive, and exciting. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie

/ Building a Hobby Farm- from woods to eggs #595  
My wife and I are 4 years in to our hobby farm and were still growing
Its very rewarding growing your own food and raising your
Own livestock. Good luck

/ Building a Hobby Farm- from woods to eggs #596  
My wife and I are 4 years in to our hobby farm and were still growing
Its very rewarding growing your own food and raising your
Own livestock. Good luck

That sounds great. Do you have any pictures of it?

/ Building a Hobby Farm- from woods to eggs #598  
Been two years, how's the master's studying going? Me wife is an education professor, I was an elementary teacher (we need more men in elementary!), so that is dear to us. Wife's masters is from University of South Carolina.

Ok Tony, we want more pics! We want more, we want more!

/ Building a Hobby Farm- from woods to eggs #599  
Here are a few pics of some of animals IMG-20110805-00059.jpgNorfolk County0-20121110-00266.jpg

/ Building a Hobby Farm- from woods to eggs
MacLawn, I graduated this past May! Start my first position in 6th grade science in about a month. Very excited!

The old Yanmar is still plugging along. No real problems. I had a small leak in the radiator, so pulled it out myself and got it blasted and fixed up. Put it back in with all new hoses. Front tire finally fell apart (litarally) so I replaced it. Been using it a few times a week and still cutting some acreage for a neighbor.

Life has taken some turns and we aren't spending as much time around the property lately. We have started camping alot with our travel trailer. Travel and farming don't mix well...

We do have a vegetable garden this year. It's doing fair, but not great...just doesn't get the attention it needs.

I'll have to take a few photos soon. Would be a nice contrast to the pictures when the thread started.

I won't disappear, but likely months (maybe years) between posts.