used utility poles ?

/ used utility poles ? #1  

Beavis

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Has anyone ever used old utility poles for fence building? I haven't even began to look for them yet, or if you can get your hands on them. But my thought is to cut them into 8' sections and use them as fence posts. Any thoughts ?

/ used utility poles ? #2  
A couple of neighbors have done this. Makes a heck of a strong-looking gate post.

/ used utility poles ? #3  
I have one on either side of my driveway gate. They are 12', I have them 4' in the ground and have two 12' cattle gates hung on them (24' opening) with an electric opener. The poles were here when I bought my property, I just found a use for them.
I also have a 48' X 50' bulding with 6" X6" posts. When I put up the building I found a local guy that had a contract to get the old power poles from the local utility Co. He had a sawmill and cut the poles square for me.
I don't know about your area but here the poles have a lot of takers, they might be hard to get. But to answer your question, they would make great fence posts.

/ used utility poles ? #4  
If anyone in Michigan knows where they can be bought, I would be interested as well. Not only good for using to anchor gates, but a ready to use tree to put a tree stand where ever you want one.

/ used utility poles ? #5  
Poles & RR tie treatments have particularly toxic coatings. Cutting them is nasty on the tool & may expose you to airborne inhalation so take precautions.

Around here utilities replacing poles along roadsides can give them away or sometimes scrap metal recyclers also get a pile of them.

/ used utility poles ? #6  
I would check the price of new ones first, you will find they cost about the same as used ones.
I am putting up fence now and I am getting ten footers about 12'' across for $11.00 each and they are supposed to last 55 years.

/ used utility poles ? #7  
GeorgiaBoy,
Where are you getting them from? That sounds like a pretty good price.

/ used utility poles ? #8  
I get them from ACE POLE YARD in Blackshear GA. about 25 miles from me. They are great folks to do business with, you can pick out the ones you want and they load them for you. They have different sizes and lengths but I just get ten footers put them in the ground and after I get the fence up I saw them off even.

/ used utility poles ? #9  
Can't think of a more effective pest, weather or rot resistant wood treatment than creosote. Around here the local power co. will deliver used poles when they are doing replacement work nearby, if you talk directly to the people in the field actually doing the work anyway. Not sure what the response would be from the office types?

/ used utility poles ? #10  
Call the power company that serves your area and ask. Our local utility sells used poles at a set price per usable foot (I don't remember the price). Like others have said, if you can find them being changed in the field, the savings can be significant.