Can you use a propane tank for an air tank?

/ Can you use a propane tank for an air tank? #1  

unioncreek

Tractor
1949 Farmall M
I need a little more storage capacity on my air compressor and was wondering if a 100 # propane bottle would handle the 150#'s of air from my compressor ?
Any help appreciated.

Bob

/ Can you use a propane tank for an air tank? #2  
I'm not sure what pressure propane tanks are tested to, but 500 psig comes to mind. Propane has a vapor pressure of 204 psig at 110 F, so it seems like it would be safe, strictly from a pressure standpoint.

I'm less sure that it is a good idea to use a propane tank for anything other than propane storage. How do you propose to drain the condensate out of the tank? That would be a must.

/ Can you use a propane tank for an air tank? #3  
I ended up with an extra propane tank about 10 yrs ago. Undid the shut off valve and plumbed it to fit an air quick connect. Changed the bleed deal and installed a schrader valve.

Even though the tank was empty, it still reeked of propane. I attached air flow and purged it for nearly an hour. It still has the smell.

Mine is a 20# bottle, and it makes a nice portable air tank. I don't worry about moisture in it. I made a male to male quick connect adapter so I can connect it to fill and not mess with it.

If I were going for a permanent installation, I'd probably use an air tank.

Ron

/ Can you use a propane tank for an air tank? #4  
I use a ten pound one to store portable air for tires. I left the valve on so I can close it. It does not flow a lot of volume quickly and the air smells as mentioned. But it works for me.

/ Can you use a propane tank for an air tank? #5  
Portable tanks would not have the condensate issue of a permanent tank, especially a permanent tank hooked to a compressor that runs frequently.

/ Can you use a propane tank for an air tank? #6  
I did that exact thing. Added a 40# propane tank to the air system.

I put it at the end of the line, farthest from the tank. There are 6 drains between that tank and the pump. The Propane tank is upside down and mounted to the wall. I used a 4 way 1" cross on the tank. Inside the 4 way, I have a 3/8" elbow and 12" pipe going up to the top of the tank. (Remember the tank is mounted upside down, so it's really closest to the bottom). Air goes in on one side of the 4 way, there is a ball valve drain on the bottom 12" lower than the tank and air comes out from the tube raised 12" up inside the tank.

I welded the 3/8" elbow inside of the 4 way with the 12" extension already in place. This is to both give more air volume to the system and to dry it more. That tap is my dry air for painting.

jb