Massey Ferguson 65

/ Massey Ferguson 65 #1  

myjohndeere

Tractor
Deere MY2012 5083E, Deere LT155
We recently purchase 220 acres primarliy for hunting and game production. We have a MF65 that we hope to use for small tasks around the land like removing fencing, rough mowing, and tilliage work.

We plan to get the tractor cleaned up in the next few weeks and change fluids ect... It needs 2 things, a ROPS and a loader. First question: do you think we can/should build our own ROPS, we have all the necesary tools and skills. Second question: a loader, what kind, is it cheaper to build our own? will we need anpther hyd. pump? does anybody have any info on a loader for this tractor?

I value all of your responses and thanks in advance!!:D

/ Massey Ferguson 65 #2  
- A home built ROPS is better than no ROPS at all: just overbuild it and make sure it has multiple attachment poins to the rear end.
The safety freaks of this board will shoot me for saying this, but some people just need something to nag about every now and then ;p

- a home built frontloader: I built one on basis of a cracked Veto FX 12 which were known to be underbuilt. I built it 71% stronger, added mechanical self levelling linkage, bucket Euro quick tach, and built a heavy duty tractor subframe.
All a lot of work.

You cant use a loader like mine on an MF 65 because it will lift your backend and overload the front axle.
In the lower capacity class, there should be plenty of bargains available that will fit or be adaptable to your MF 65.

Does your tractor already has power steering ? if not, i would save the effort and upgrade to a better tractor first. I've been loading the horse muck with a mid 60's Deutz D50 and classic loader for some years. been there, done that.
The result was broken steering gears, bent steering rods, all worn out pivot balls and sore shoulders. These 60's tractors usually arent designed for loaders.

/ Massey Ferguson 65
Renze, yes it does have power steering. and thanks for your input.

/ Massey Ferguson 65 #4  
I was working on my MF model 85 yesterday, which I think is a little bigger. It has an FEL. It looks pretty involved to build. Especially the framework. Hydraulics are all there, my control valve is between by legs under the seat. I love holding my hand there all day. :) I also lift the back end with any kind of big load, even with loaded tires. I would try to find a factory set-up. I don't know about you, but I was told by an engineer where I used to work that I overbuild by about 5000%. Hey, better than being under by 1%. Anyway, if I built my own, it would lift the back tires empty.

/ Massey Ferguson 65 #5  
myjohndeere said:
We recently purchase 220 acres primarliy for hunting and game production. We have a MF65 that we hope to use for small tasks around the land like removing fencing, rough mowing, and tilliage work.

We plan to get the tractor cleaned up in the next few weeks and change fluids ect... It needs 2 things, a ROPS and a loader. First question: do you think we can/should build our own ROPS, we have all the necesary tools and skills. Second question: a loader, what kind, is it cheaper to build our own? will we need anpther hyd. pump? does anybody have any info on a loader for this tractor?

I value all of your responses and thanks in advance!!:D

Did you end up buying a ROPS?

If so, which one and what did it cost?

D.

/ Massey Ferguson 65 #6  
My neighbor had a MF 65 with a loader. It was an old dearborn loader made for old Ford tractors. With a little welding it fir quite well. If you can't fine an old Dearborn I have one to sell.l

/ Massey Ferguson 65 #7  
The WL-21 loader was designed at the same time your tractor was built. It is an ideal match for your 2WD tractor. Here is a smiliar model/aged tractor with one installed. It mounts differently than a 4WD loader to reduce stress on front axles and distribute weight to the rear, similar to the old horsecollar principle. Front-End Loaders by Westendorf: loader for tractor, shade canopy, wagons, manure & landscaping equipment. Plus when you are ready to upgrade this loader has hundreds of fits on other tractors.

Attachments

• MF-WL-21.jpg
    MF-WL-21.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 11,656