Do it yourself bed liner

/ Do it yourself bed liner #1  

kossetx

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC 40 A, AC 5020
I need an opinion on this stuff. I have a 16' trailer that has 4' expanded metal sides. It has rusted up and need worked on. I'm going to wire brush it and put some rust reformer on. I was wondering if instead of paint I should apply the liquid bed liner for a finish over the reformer.

Has anyone used this stuff and are they durable and easy to use?

TIA, Mark

/ Do it yourself bed liner #2  
I could be wrong because I am not familiar with ( rust reformer ) but as far as I know everything has to be clean and dry and properly prepared for anything to stick.
Jim
:)

/ Do it yourself bed liner #3  
I have used the bed liner. It doesn't hold up as well as the commercially applied stuff, but it holds up better than paint. Don't use it if you want stuff to slide on your trailer floor -- 'cause it won't.

/ Do it yourself bed liner #5  
I used the black liquid stuff from Napa on a diamond bright aluminum tool box and it took 2 quarts. $$+ I rolled it on with a 4 inch roller.
It had a gritty finish but never came off, maybe faded a little.

Later I used the black spray stuff from Napa on another aluminum tool box and it looked like a factory job, shiny black and smooth. It did chip or scratch some, probably due to a thin layer from the spraying, but I just sprayed on another coat.

/ Do it yourself bed liner
I thought wall mart had this but my store doesn't. Any other large stores carry it? Thanks

/ Do it yourself bed liner #7  
I used some Herculiner roll-on stuff. I used an underbody spray gun ($10.00 at harbor Freight) to spray the entire inside of my jeep about 5 years ago. I spent about 8 hours preping it (removing the seats, plugging the bolt holes that needed to have bolts re-inserted, taping, etc). I also spent several hours just going over it with a scotch-brite pad and Zylene. They say that prep is what makes the durability when it comes to Herculiner. I spent a huge amt of time prepping. The actual spraying only took ~10 minutes per coat with 20 minutes between coats.

It has been quite durable. I'll admit, probably not as durable as the commercial stuff, but at 1/5 the cost, I just wouldn't have been able to afford the commercial stuff.

If at all possible, spray it on though. It does a much better job. I have since sprayed 2 other things which have both turned out very well & durable.

/ Do it yourself bed liner #8  
Jimmer could you post a pic of the jeep?

/ Do it yourself bed liner #9  
I did the exact same thing with my Jeep. Lots of prep. It turned out great and has been very durable. I also sprayed it, but with a texture gun. We use Herculiner on trailers a lot (horse trailers and flatbeds). We always spray it with a texture gun. I don't think it would be effective on expanded metal, esp. since you would waste most of it.

A word of caution: If you get Herculiner on you, or anything else, and it dries you will not get it off...

/ Do it yourself bed liner #10  
jimmer2880 said:
I spent about 8 hours preping it (removing the seats, plugging the bolt holes that needed to have bolts re-inserted, taping, etc). I also spent several hours just going over it with a scotch-brite pad and Zylene. They say that prep is what makes the durability when it comes to Herculiner. I spent a huge amt of time prepping. The actual spraying only took ~10 minutes per coat with 20 minutes between coats.

It has been quite durable. I'll admit, probably not as durable as the commercial stuff, but at 1/5 the cost, I just wouldn't have been able to afford the commercial stuff.

I agree with Jimmer 100%. I did the box in a Kawasaki Mule. It took a lot of time to prep. Taping, then sanding and retaping where the sand paper hit the tape. Then retaping where the solvent dissolved the tape. The coat has been good, but not nearly as thick as the expensive stuff.

I would seriously consider a pressure sand blaster to get the rust off. Wire brushing would take forever!

jb