Ramp to get over fence

/ Ramp to get over fence #1  

zkubota

Tractor
Kubota L4400
Okay, I've done a search, but not an easy topic to search it seems.

I'm wanting to build a ramp that will allow our four-wheelers and dirtbikes to cross without letting the cattle. (I know, lazy eh!) I'm thinking off just building a dirt ramp on the non-cattle side then a pipe ramp on the cattle side, kind of like a cattle guard on an incline?

Anyone have any ideas, done this yourself, pics, links, etc...

should I just build a narrow cattle guard and install?

thanks
zac

/ Ramp to get over fence #2  
Going over the fence doesn't have a benefit, just makes for more problems. I would say a cattle gap crossing and be done with it. When I lived in cattle country, anyone entering cattle pastures would be required to open and close the gates. If you weren't able to handle that, you weren't welcome on the property.
Enough four wheeler traffic to warrant a gate is going to be hard on the grass. What's a poor cow to eat?
David from jax

/ Ramp to get over fence #3  
I read an article in a mad (farmshow mag i think) where a guy had made a special gate so he could do just what you want to.

It was like a normal gate, only when you ran into it it layed down flat against the ground, and when you had gone over it used weights to pull itself back up.

/ Ramp to get over fence #6  
I saw a real nice unit that looked a lot like the picture from the previous post by Silver_Knight, except the steel structure was tall enough to allow a full-heigth fence to be crossed. So the top platform was around 4 feet off the ground. The top surface was curved, or arched, also like the previous post picture, to allow the most gentle transition from the up ramp onto the platform, and back down onto the other (down) ramp. Unfortunately I cannot find an on-line picture of it. And the dealer I saw it at did not have any literature either. If the fence separated my land from my neighbor, and I wanted to leave the fence un-modifiied, the crossing structure would have to be tall like the one I saw and described to you. On the other hand, if it was my land, I would build it low like the one pictured in the previous post by Silver_Knight. It would do the same function, and be safer for the riders, especially the less-experienced ones.

/ Ramp to get over fence #7  
OK, I am in the gate camp. Much less labor intensive and would actually BELONG in a fence. If they are not responsible enough to handle opening and closing a gate then they should not be driving atv's. Just my .02, others thoughts may vary.:)

Edit with this thought: I will concede that the ramp would be more FUN.

/ Ramp to get over fence #8  
as a teenager I built some simple ramps with poles and 2x4's like you described with the pipes so that I could buzz around with a dirt bike to check cattle and play. worked great and saved a lot of time until the day after a rain and boards were wet, a little too fast and approach not straight enough and I ended up sliding off the side and bouncing off the rail fence, hurt like the dickens. Look at the gates described as being in farmshow i think they'd be a whole lot safer if your wheels happened to get over the edge of a ramp.

/ Ramp to get over fence #9  
couldn't you just cattle grids instead of gates?

/ Ramp to get over fence #10  
couldn't you just use cattle grids instead of gates?