Pasture Renovation

/ Pasture Renovation #1  

Phred

Veteran Member
Tractor
TN70D, 4wd, 16x16 trans
I know this has been discussed but I would like to get some feedback on my problem and plan.

I have a number of acers that are in bad shape; overgrazed.
See attached.

I do not want to till since this is at the top of a very steep slope and I fear the loss of any reamaining top soil. Also this would just bring more rocks to the surface.
So step 1: Disc up the area. 2:Broadcast fescue seed 3:Roll to ensure good soil seed contact.

All of this will be proceeded with a soil test and lime as needed.

So what do you think?

Fred

Attachments

• 33-122905-sadpasture.jpg
    33-122905-sadpasture.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 201
   / Pasture Renovation #2  
Works for me.

/ Pasture Renovation #3  
Your best bet is to get an overseeder and drill it in.

/ Pasture Renovation #4  
<font color=blue>I do not want to till since this is at the top of a very steep slope and I fear the loss of any reamaining top soil.
Also this would just bring more rocks to the surface.
So step 1: Disc up the area. <font color=black>

Seems to be contradictory here. Discing to me is tilling and will risk top soil loss and bring up rocks. Obviously not what you meant by discing the area. And looks like you don't need any more rocks on the surface.

I agree with cowboydoc, although not that familiar with your land. Drilling in the seed should work as good as anything, given adequate moisture at the right time.

If I was there, I would contact the local county agents (they're thick as dog fur everywhere else in this country) and get some local input on rehab'ing your pasture.

/ Pasture Renovation
guys,

What I meant is that I do not want to plow. Yes I know that the disc will tear up the soil and perhaps I will loose some due to erosion. Also the last thing I need is more rocks. My neighbors place is called "The Rockpile Ranch" with good reason.
I hoped that If I minimize working the soil I will minimize the rock generation and erosion.
However, I can't find a low cost seed drill that appears to be designed for this task. Brillion and similar units appear to assume that you have already plowed etc.. and have a solid seed bed. I clearly do not have a nice seed bed. Any leads on who makes these or am I wrong about the primary seed drills?
Also how will all these small rocks impact a seed drill?

Thanks for the advice.

Fred

/ Pasture Renovation #6  
How about just hitting the aera with a rake, and just spredding some seed. It may take a few apps to get it to fill in, but would not brake up the soil. You may find out that you will need to spred some fert., and some lime to get it started, but after the grass starts growing, and you mow, it should feed itself. Or maby just try a cover crop for now, then spred some grass seed later. The cover crop will add to the soil, and feed the future grass.

/ Pasture Renovation
Paul,

Good idea. What would you suggest as a cover crop?

Thanks

Fred

/ Pasture Renovation #8  
How about doing it in contour strips following the conour of the land. Do every other strip to minimize erosion.

/ Pasture Renovation #9  
Rye, alfalfa, clover. The rye will be good becouse it will die off next year, and will help keep the weeds down wile the real grass comes in. First I would start with a soil test though. Just to get things in the ball park.

/ Pasture Renovation #10  
Just for interest:

Alfalfa may not do well if the PH is below 6.0.

Egon