Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Suggestions for clearing 30 acres of small trees.

Get some quotes from people who own tracked equipment and then plan from there.

You'd want the brush cleared and windrowed, the ground gone over with a root rake and then finally have it all disked up with a proper size disk.

After this you can work the land and spend some time reducing the windrows to firewood.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_in_Hoyt
    good operators will give suggestions for maintaining grade so you don't get bad runoff erosion, suggest trees to keep, etc...

then invest in a good chainsaw and plan on cutting up the piles he leaves afterwards. (again around here) hardwood firewood sells for anything from $75 a pickup load to $150 a cord.
    If you don't already have one, I recommend Stihl or Husquevaerna, because they're common enough parts and repairs are relatively inexpensive.
    good luck!
    I cut a ton of firewood every year on my farm. I already own a Stihl 361 so I got that covered. My father is still a die hard "Homelite" chainsaw guy. He doesn't like to spend big bucks for a saw. But he has gone through 3 of them in the past 10 years or so. of course, he is set in his ways and you can't tell him anything.
    Last edited by scesnick; 12-03-2007 at 08:14 AM.
    Father, GNCC racer, KTM rider, Bow hunter, Farm owner.
    Kubota MX5100
    Dodge 2500 CTD
    Yamaha YZ 250

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    century 2535

I understand - my dad is a McCullough fan and has had more than one dead upon opening the box. my Stihl 039 isn't as pretty, but it was 25 or 30 years old when I picked it up at auction years back and still works fine!
    Erik
    Mahindra 3510, box blade, pallet forks, 6' KK mower...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12