fence post spacing

/ fence post spacing #1  

TrueCountry

I am pretty new to TBN and I have a Mahindra 4110 with a FEL. I put that in there so I will have said something about a tractor. My question is I own 25 acres in Louisiana and want to put up a fence. I am going to fence in about 5 acres for horses and about 15 acres for cattle. I dont know how far apart to space the posts. I want to use T-posts and field fence (unless anyone has a better idea). I need to know how far to space the T-posts. Also when you put up a fence you have to put a heavy posts every so often and I dont know how far to put them. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. If there is anything yall ned to know that i have left out please ask. I want this fence done as soon as possible.

One more question, do you put a fence up in the winter or summer (remeber Louisiana dont have cold winters).

Thanks,
Beaux

/ fence post spacing #2  
Personally, I wouldn't use t-posts & typical square field fence for horses. If you do, use the smaller size grid so they won't get their hooves caught in the openings. Also, they could get some pretty nasty gashes from the tops of the t-posts. I've seen people use field fence and a strand of electric at the top to keep them away from the fence. Lots of people are using vinyl along with an electric strand, but I prefer wooden posts and rough sawn boards myself.

/ fence post spacing #3  
My experience with t-posts is they don't stay strait for long. Most cows and horses live by the rule "the grass is always geener on the other side". They will lean over and over and over eventually bending the posts. Also I found it harder to keep the wire tight unless you have some stout corner posts and every 150'-200' another good anchor post down the line. I just did my 4 acre fence this fall with all wood 7" line posts and 9" corners with extra bracing. Spacing was set at 15' apart. Used an post hole auger. As far as what season to build, it will depend on where you live. You should be able to build year-round, not so here in snow country. Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
   / fence post spacing #4  
I'm not familiar with what field fence is.

As others have mentioned, the kind of fence you put in for cattle is usually not appropriate for horses.

T posts are OK for line posts, but you will need sturdy corner posts in order to pull the wire tight.

Install fencing when the ground is soft enough to make getting the posts in easily, but not so wet, you can't use your tractor.

You also might try a search here on TBN for T Posts. There have been a lot of threads on this topic, some very recent. Click Here.

/ fence post spacing #5  
I use barb wire for cattle, feild fence with a single strand of barb on top works very well and prevents them from reaching thru. Use a brace setup, quickcreted in, on the corner with a single wooden brace in the middle of a quarter mile run or wherever you cross a significant ditch or hump. I will only build fence in the winter in Oklahoma. Ticks, chiggers, poison ivy, and heat stroke is my list of reasons why. Plus the barbs on barb wire "getcha" less the thicker clothes you have on. Don't have much experience with horse fence, the donkeys and mules we have are in barb wire just like the cattle.

/ fence post spacing
Thanks for all the input, I greatly appreciate it. jjmarotz I love the way your fence looks. I am leaning towards doing it you way. How much do them posts costs and where do I buy them from. Thanks again friends.

Beaux

/ fence post spacing #7  
There is nothing wrong with T-posts. I have put hundreds of them in, but they are correct, you should put a top electric strand on it. This way the horses won't test the fence and bend the posts. Once they realize that they get shocked, horses don't like it and will avoid the fence for weeks even when the top strand isn't electrified. Cows, on the otherhand, are a different story, and will discover a fence isn't hot within a day and get through it.

You could just use an electric fence without anything else if you wanted to, and once they know it's there, they will never get out. The advantage is that it is inexpensive to put up, easy to move if needed, and easy to take down if not needed. The disadvantage is that you need to keep it electrifed most of the time.

Personally, for a permenant fence I would use t-posts with individual strands of barbed wire about 12" apart, and electrify every other strand. This provides great visual warning that you don't get with a single strand of non-barbed wire, plus it is much cheaper than a woven wire fence and will work even if the power is out for months.

/ fence post spacing #8  
These posts were very expensive @$9.00 each, times 202 posts. OUCH!!!!! But these are full treated to resist rot and such. I have a local guy 40 miles from me that sells these as his side business. Don't know where to get them in LA. Maybe check your local classifieds under the farm and ranch section. The initial cost is more than t-posts, but this is so much stronger. One other thing to keep in mind is I only use barbless wire for horses. If a horse happens to go thru the fence barbed wire will tear their legs to shreds. Cattle I would use barbed. Any other ?'s feel free to ask. Thanks for the coment too.

/ fence post spacing #9  
JJ, thanks for the photos!

I was mostly a city boy until the last year. Now I'm finding things like a simple fence beautiful. :confused:

/ fence post spacing #10  
tony123 said:
JJ, thanks for the photos!

I was mostly a city boy until the last year. Now I'm finding things like a simple fence beautiful. :confused:
A "simple fence", not such thing, this took counltess hours to install, but then again a little hard work never hurt anyone, right?