Pulling Large Shrubs

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #1  

ktctest6

Tractor
John Deere 790
This is going to be a long post and I am a new JD 790 owner - so please have a little patience. I really do need some advice and help.

I need to re-work my shrub landscaping and some of the shrubs are big - like 5 foot high and 4 foot across. They have been in the ground around 15 to 20 years. Because of the house and other plants around the shrubs I can only work at a straight line towards the shrub. Going all around the shrubs is out of the question.

I want to use the FEL on my JD 790 to loosen up the shrub in the ground. Then wrap a cable around the base - hook it to a chain that is over a tire rim and connected to the tractor drawbar. I was told that the tire rim will help with the upward pulling force. I'm not real good a describing how this is all connected - but I hope ya'll get the idea.

My question is - is this the best way to get these large shrubs out? I'm also concerned that if the chain breaks or comes loose it could fly back and hit me! I heard that if I lay a short piece of chain across the pull chain then that will stop the pull chain from flying back. I really appreciate the advice!

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #2  
A matic or a backhoe or a chainsaw.

Dig around the base if you're pull up to replant. or a chainsaw and cut those bushes down.

If you use a chain, use one real LOG (not long) chain. Use as short a chain as possible.

15-20 years of roots is a lot of roots for anything, even a tractor to deal with.

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #3  
Use a quilt to cover the chain to stop the whipping action if it breaks. I dought very much you will get enough traction with the tractor to pull it out. Soak the ground around the shrub overnight and use an axe to sever any roots that get in the way. You will not be able to lift it out with the FEL and the break out force of a loader on a 790 it not very much but your best bet may be to lay something like logs or cross ties under the FEL bucket (for height) and slowly pry with the bucket by tilting it until you work it out but chaining it to the trunk of the shrub.

/ Pulling Large Shrubs
Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate the advice!
I'm trying to understand AND learn so I need to know what is a LOG chain as referred to in "theboman" response and how do I put logs or cross ties under the FEL bucket (for height) as mentioned in the "cedarranch" response? I just can't picture exactly what the recommendation is here.

I believe the suggestion about laying a blanket across the pull chain is "right on"! That sure seems to be a good idea!

I'm trying to do 4 things with my new JD 790:
1 - Use it
2 - Enjoy it
3 - Learn
4 - BE SAFE - (come to think of it - #4 should be #1)

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #5  
I tried to pull some similar shrubs with my JD5410 with loaded tires, a several thousand pound rear attachment and a front-end loader, with the tires on dry pavment....it probably won't work if your soil is heavy like mine.

Even with all that weight I kept lifting my back tires of the ground trying to pull up, ...had to resort to a regular shovel and pick-axe to chop up about 50% of the roots before the tractor could do the rest.

I am constantly suprised at how hard it is to pull out even small trees with a tractor my size (which isn't huge, but is pretty big and heavy).

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #6  
I would suggest using a 'recovery strap' instead of a chain. I don't think it is very likely that you can just put a steady load on the shrubs and get them to move. I think you need to try to use some momentum to get those to budge. The easiest way to get lots of momentum is to do it with a heavy vehicle.

A large truck (4wd) of some sort would work well especially if you can get the wheels on asphalt. The recovery strap is a heavy duty nylon web that is designed to stretch when a load is applied to it. This eliminates the likely hood of breaking anything on the vehicle and it is amazing what you can get unstuck with one of these things. Kind of like magic.

The idea is to use enough momentum to stretch out the strap and then allow the elastic action to pull the stuck object. If you have never seen this work you will not believe how easy it looks. BTW these straps are not the same as trailer tie down straps and are designed specifically getting vehicles unstuck. I think the one I have is rated at 30,000 - 40,000 pounds.

Good Luck!

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #7  
Jim -- I never had much luck pulling established shrubs out of the ground with a chain...and around here the deepest soil only goes down a foot or so before hitting granite ledge! When I want something out of the ground I generally do it when the ground is saturated wet, loosen it with the bucket by pushing the brush from one side to another, then winching it out from several angles. Bushes can be brutal!

Pete

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #8  
kevincook

I'd like to expand on your comment ... "BTW these straps are not the same as trailer tie down straps and are designed specifically getting vehicles unstuck." Hope you don't mind!

The straps you are also talking about are NOT tow straps either. Tow straps look the same except they have a hook on each end. The "Snatch-em Strap" you are talking about has two enclosed loops on the ends. One would use a clevis hook to attach solidly EACH end of the snatch strap to the puller and pullee.

Why do I bring this up? I have a buddy who got his truck stuck in a mudd hole. Anothe guy had a TOW strap (hooks on each end) and volunteered to pull him out. They hooked up and after a few unsuccessful tries decided to get a running start. The hook, for what ever reason came loose from the pulling truck and flung back and hit the other truck smack dead center in front of the driver, smashing the windshield. This was after hitting the hood and pretty much destroying it. If it hadn't hit the hood first and used up a lot of the energy, I hate to think what might have happened to my buddy. It all happened so fast I don't think he could have ducked fast enough. Tow straps are ment to tow NOT yank. Just my 2Cents.

Micromike

/ Pulling Large Shrubs #9  
Micromike

Thanks for making that distinction it is an extremely important point. If anyone is looking for one check a local store that specializes in 4wd trucks.

Here is an example:
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.keepercorp.com/prod/vrs.htm>http://www.keepercorp.com/prod/vrs.htm</A>

Attachments

• 33-124521-strap.jpg
    33-124521-strap.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 163
   / Pulling Large Shrubs #10  
#4 is always #1 (sometimes the brain gets in the way of logic and I'm way guilty).

They are lots of different chains for different purposes. Log chains are used in logging situations. Tow chains for towing. Dog chains for dogs. The may all look alike or at least similar but the metals strenths are different. It may be a link as fat as your little finger but was it designed to hold the pressue of a 55 lb dog or 2000 pound tractor.....